http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/GtUolB/TM

RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the forum, and more check out the website at
http://www.rednews.co.uk
For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon

---------------------------------
[12] Guaranteed to end impotence. 6 Red News' for just... £6. Enough to make
even the most tight a*se of humans salivate!
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 24, 2006 by ed:
There are 6 Red News' from this season still available... and you can get ALL 6
for JUST £6 INCLUDING p&p in UK... £10 ROW... and when you order you get FREE
entry into our VIP Forum for a month. What a bargain!

Never read the mag? Or just missed out this season? Then order the 6 available
Red News' from this season (including the new issue, 125, other issues with
comment, opinion and gossip on a remarkable season on and off the pitch - the
Bestie tribute comes with the 6 as well) for JUST £6 in the UK INCLUDING p&p
and £10 ROW (inc p&p). You also then qualify for a free months entry into our
news breaking VIP Forum.

Order here - product code 6OFFER

To order a single copy click on

single copy order e.mail

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

---------------------------------
[11] Another Fergie vendetta or other reasons?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 24, 2006 by ed:
from the SUN

'MANCHESTER UNITED’S Dr Roo has been well and truly kicked in the Daleks.

Dr Mike Stone — the man in charge of Wayne Rooney’s rehabilitation — was
dismissed by Old Trafford boss Alex Ferguson on Monday.

Stone had been with the Red Devils for 10 years and has been overseeing
Rooney’s recovery since the England hitman broke his foot on April 29.

Ferguson has been publicly claiming that Rooney, 20, had little or no chance of
playing in the World Cup finals.

The fiery Scot was also adamant that HE would decide if Rooney was going to
Germany and NOT Three Lions chief Sven Goran Eriksson.

However, at the same time, Stone was briefing England doctor Leif Sward that
Rooney’s recovery from his metatarsal injury was going well.

Only a fortnight after Rooney’s injury, Sward was full of praise for Stone.

Sward said: “I just talked to the doctors in Manchester and the report they
gave me was very, very positive.

“We have decided Manchester United’s medical team, with Mike Stone in charge,
will work with Rooney’s recovery. I can say they have done a tremendous job
with Wayne.”

Since then Sward was also briefed by Stone that Rooney was making the ‘perfect
recovery’.

This will have been embarrassing for Ferguson — who had originally poured scorn
on the idea of Rooney playing in the finals.

Stone is also known to have regularly been at odds with United
assistant-manager Carlos Queiroz.
Ferguson is understood to have cited outside issues as the reason why he was
letting Stone go.

However, the timing is bizarre — to say the least — the shock news comes just
24 hours before Rooney has a scan to see if he can start at the World Cup.

Coincidentally, Ferguson’s captain Gary Neville yesterday claimed United have
NEVER tried to stop Rooney from playing in the finals.

Neville, 31, said: “There have been some suggestions that United don’t want him
fit for England and, speaking from being an experienced player at United, I can
say that’s absolute rubbish.

“He is one of their players and they look after their players but they know
Wayne’s ambitions as a player and that he wants to play in the World Cup.

“If he’s fit and he’s ready to play for England, that will be fantastic —
fantastic for England and Manchester United. It’s great for everybody if he’s
fit and ready to go. On the other hand, if he’s not fit I know United won’t let
him come away — and rightly so.

“If he is fit, they will. They’re a fair club.

“He’s in the best hands at United, in the best environment because he’s there
with no players or media around him and it will be quiet.

“Wayne will be alone with the physio, looking after himself and making sure he
gives himself the best-possible chance.”

Neville missed Euro 2004 with an injury similar to Rooney’s — so he has warned
people not to expect miracles.

He said: “People shouldn’t underestimate what he has done. He has got a broken
bone in his body and it’s got to heal.

“He’s not broken a fingernail. He’s broken a bone.”

Stone hit the headlines in 2003 when Rio Ferdinand missed a drugs test at the
club’s Carrington training ground.

Stone told Ferdinand of the need to take the test with FA officers but did not
make sure he stayed around to do it and Ferdinand forgot and left.

The doctor became a key witness for Ferdinand, who was eventually banned for
eight months.

To most people watching football on TV, Stone is the bloke with the moustache
in front of Ferguson’s dugout — jumping up and down when United score.

Not any more.'

---------------------------------
[10] David Meek laps it up
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 24, 2006 by ed:
 http://www.irelandssaturdaynight.co.uk/story.jsp?story=692079
http://www.irelandssaturdaynight.co.uk/story.jsp?story=692079

'The Glazer family have given Manchester United the green light to spend what
it takes to make the Reds into serious challengers for the Championship.

I understand that the owners, marking their first year in charge of Old
Trafford, have told Sir Alex Ferguson that despite the huge debt involved in
their purchase of the club they are prepared to back his plans in the transfer
market.

Although a great many United fans finished the season feeling overwhelmed and
depressed by the dominance of Chelsea in the League and Arsenal's presence in
the Champions League final this week in Paris, Malcolm Glazer and his three
sons still have complete confidence in the United manager.

They share Ferguson's optimistic view that despite early season failings they
are a club once again going places, and as such they are ready to finance his
plans to bring in a top midfield player, perhaps even two.

They have been won over by Sir Alex's persuasive argument that his squad are
maturing and improving.

As Fergie explains: "We are making progress. We finished the season in far
better shape than we started and I believe that we have a sound foundation on
which to build on as we plan our next challenge.

"In terms of trophies, well, we have the Carling Cup, and I have always argued
that no season is a total write-off if you can point to a piece of silverware.

" I know the League Cup doesn't compare with the Champions League, but the fact
remains, we won a trophy I see as a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

"In terms of the Premiership I acknowledge that Chelsea were deserved champions.

"They were amazingly consistent, especially on their own ground, and they
deserved the prize.

I'm pleased we perhaps made them glance over their shoulder as we gathered
momentum on the last lap and I was certainly delighted that we held off the
challenge of Liverpool to finish runners-up.

"The big disappointment of course was in the Champions League but the
qualifying group was played when we were massively under the cosh with injuries.

"I am looking to strengthen midfield this summer, but we will also be stronger
from within.

"This season we have had 17 players on loan with other clubs to accelerate
their development. Players like Lee Martin, Danny Simpson, David Jones, Chris
Eagles and Ben Foster are all doing well.

"Nearer home we have youngsters like Giuseppe Rossi, Gerard Pique and Phil
Bardsley who have all progressed to the first-team squad

"Despite so many youngsters out on loan, the reserves won their northern league
before beating Spurs, the southern champions, to take the Premier Reserve
League Championship, another positive achievement this season.

"Next season will see a much stronger challenge from Manchester United.

"I believe we are back on course, even though injury struck again before the
end of the season with Wayne Rooney breaking a metatarsal in the game at
Chelsea to prompt a media frenzy.

"I don't know whether Wayne will make it to Germany, but at least he will be
ready for us for the start of next season along with our other injured players
like Paul Scholes, Gabriel Heinze and Alan Smith.

"I am confident there will be bigger and better things for us next season," he
declared.'

 http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-795737-10393254
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

 http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-795737-10364037  CDs, DVDs, Games - great prices
with free delivery
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[9] Beckham on Rooney
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 24, 2006 by ed:
"He was at my party the other day and he looked good, his foot looked fine. He
was dancing with his wife, I mean girlfriend and he was fine then. We'll have
to wait on the scan of course. The whole nation is willing him better. To have
Wayne Rooney in your team, not just as a player but as a person, we need that.
The world needs to see Wayne Rooney on a stage like the World Cup"

---------------------------------
[8] Ruud on Dutch TV
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 24, 2006 by ed:
asked - 'Do you feel Manchester United want to get rid of you?'

 "You could have that feeling. I don't have that feeling, it's not that
certain. No-one has said that to me so far. What has happened is not a positive
sign. You get that and you weigh it up. But, as long as I can't do anything
about it, I won't be preoccupied with it. Nothing will be worked out before the
World Cup."

---------------------------------
[7] Van Basten on Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 24, 2006 by ed:
"I do not have any problems with Ruud. "I am totally confident in his ability.
Ruud is a person who likes to work hard and he likes to win. He is a very good
and very important part of our team."

---------------------------------
[6] Order 1 issue or subscribe for 10
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
Subscribe to Red News. And when you do you get a years FREE entry to our VIP
Forum

Subscribe to Red News, the actual printed fanzine for 10 issues (a year).

Make sure you get EVERY issue of Red News, sent to your door! Thanks to our
link with the safe, simple to use and world wide massively known paypal you can
order your 10 issue subscription to Red News via credit card - Visa,
Mastercard, Amex, Switch or Solo. Or send sterling cheque to Red News, P.o.Box
176, Manchester, M16 8LG.

Prices are as follows, please fill in the price column online accordingly

Ypur support keeps this website alive. Let us develop and grow and provide even
more news! 100% Independent. 100% Unofficial. Let's keep it that way.

RN 125 out May 7th
RN 124. 1976 Cup Final interviews
RN 123 Exclusive Ole interview
RN 121 George Best tribute Still available
RN 120 Still available
RN 119 Still available

In the UK £2.50 inc p&p each copy
ROW £3.50 inc p&p  each copy

UK 10 issue sub £25.00 inc p&p
Europe 10 issue sub £30.00 inc p&p
Rest Of The World 10 issue sub £35.00 inc p&p

And those kind hearted souls out there can help with our costs by making an
online donation via paypal. Doesn't matter how small the amount is, every bit
helps with our costs - thanks. click on.

subscribe e.mail

donate e.mail

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

All our t-shirts - Some classic designs

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm

ECF '68 High Quality retro Shirts with Hand Embroided Crest. Order by credit
card or cheque at...

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP

NEW UNOFFICIAL ALTERNATIVE SHIRTS

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm

---------------------------------
[5] Belfast Telegraph on Bestie night
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
'The George Best Foundation was launched in style last night at a glittering
event at Belfast City Hall last night.

Sporting dignitaries, business representatives and VIPs joined the family of
the soccer icon to mark the launch of the foundation set up in his memory.

Among the stars who turned out at the gala reception were Manchester United
manager Sir Alex Ferguson and chief executive David Gill. They jetted into the
newly-named George Best Belfast City Airport on a Flybe plane which was also
named after the local hero.

Also on the flight was Best's former team mate and best friend Paddy Crerand.

Other famous faces included former Celtic boss Martin O'Neill, boxing champ
Chris Eubank and ex-Northern Ireland goalkeeper Pat Jennings.

Best's doctor from the Cromwell Hospital in London, Professor Roger Williams,
who looked after the ailing footballer until his death last November, took his
place at the top table alongside Best's sister Barbara McNarry, brother-in-law
Norman and father Dickie.

His sisters Carol, Grace and Julie were also in attendance along with brother
Ian.

The launch was organised by the Carryduff Man United Supporters' Club whose
representative John White said he was delighted at the huge turnout.

Best's son Calum was unable to be at the special tribute dinner due to work
commitments. The soccer star's agent Phil Hughes was also absent.

Life-long Man United supporter Eamonn Holmes, who is president of the
foundation, sent a heartfelt message via video.

Money raised at the event, which included an auction with a Faberge egg as one
of the items under the hammer, will go to the foundation.

The George Best Foundation was set up to fund research into liver disease and
alcoholism. It also promotes a healthy lifestyle among young people through
football.'

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-5042816

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[4] Gavin Peacock on 1994 Cup Final
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
"I hit the bar when the score was 0-0. My other recollection of that game was
Eric Cantona about to take a penalty. He was flying, he had this aura and
presence and little Dennis Wise appeared from nowhere. 'I'll give you £50 if
you score' said Wisey. Cantona looked down at him, lifted up his collars, stuck
out his chest, strolled up and rolled it past Dmitri Kharine. David Elleray
gave United another penalty. Cantona lifted his collars, stuck out his chest
and said: 'Double or nothing'. It was the killer penalty. To be fair to Dennis,
he gave him the money and signed the notes. We were hammered and my mate John
Spencer threw away his losers medal"

---------------------------------
[3] The spirit of '68
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
Short Sleeve 1968 ECF top WITH full Embroidery. HIGHEST QUALITY

ONLY £22.50 including postage and packing!

Available in Medium, Large and Extra-Large sizes. Royal ECF Blue. Please
specify SIZE when ordering.

Click on  http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec02.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec02.htm for badge detail

Price: £22.50 inc. p&p in UK
(Europe add £2 / ROW add £4) - please fill in the price column and product code
online accordingly.

Prod. Code: RNE02

You can order by credit card - Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Switch or Solo.

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

Just mark the product code - RNE02 - when ordering below.

Click on

Long Sleeve 1968 ECF top WITH full Embroidery. HIGHEST QUALITY

ONLY £25.00 including postage and packing!

Available in Medium, Large and Extra-Large sizes. Royal ECF Blue. Please
specify SIZE when ordering.

Click on  http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec02.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec02.htm for badge detail

Price: £25.00 inc. p&p in UK
(Europe add £2 / ROW add £4) - please fill in the price column and product code
online accordingly.

Prod. Code: RNE03

You can order by credit card - Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Switch or Solo.

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

Just mark the product code - RNE03 - when ordering below.

Click on

---------------------------------
[2] from yesterdays Guardian
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
'Manchester United are looking for a chief executive for their charitable arm,
the Manchester United Foundation. The foundation will look after United's
existing community work with the Football Foundation and Unicef as well as
extending its projects across the north-west. Current and former players will
be recruited to the foundation board, with Peter Schmeichel, Denis Irwin, Ryan
Giggs and Gary Neville among those who may be approached.'

United placed an advert for the job in the Guardians media section on Monday

---------------------------------
[1] Cheap DVD Recorders
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:

Bryan Robson's autobiography
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=0340839562
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=0340839562
Danny Wallace's Danny Boy
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1905156200
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1905156200
The lost Babes
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=0007208073
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=0007208073
The Belfast Boy by Don Fardon
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B000CQJZ2G
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B000CQJZ2G
You Raise Me Up - A Tribute to George Best [Single] Brian Kennedy
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B000CS3R2I
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B000CS3R2I
The Men in Black: Further Exploits of Manchester United's Soccer Mob by Tony
O'Neill
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1903854490
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1903854490
in paperback: Red Army General: The Inside Story of the World's Most Infamous
Football Firm
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1903854458
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1903854458
Back from the Brink: Manchester United Crisis, 1919-1932
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=190174647X
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=190174647X
1968 European Cup Final for just under £12
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B000B0QJJK
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B000B0QJJK
Busby Babes John Doherty and The Insider's Guide to Manchester United: Candid
Profiles of Every Red Devil Since 1945 £6 OFF
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1901746410
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1901746410
Manchester United - FA Cup Final Classics - New Dvd
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B00083D4FM
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B00083D4FM
Tony Whelan United Academy Chief 'The Birth of the Babes', 'Manchester United
Youth Policy, 1950-1957'
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1901746453
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1901746453
Grafters
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1903854288
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1903854288
Manchester United. The FA Cup Finals. Every Final since 1963 in a boxed set,
£15 off the r.r.price
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B00061RZEW
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B00061RZEW
Bring back those Cup memories with the 1977 Cup Final. Under £6 on DVD from
Amazon
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B0001IMD4C
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B0001IMD4C
Scousebusters 1985 Cup Final
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B00027NW1A
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B00027NW1A

---------------------------------
[40] Season tickets won't renew
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
from Ananova

'More than 200,000 football fans in the UK will not renew their season tickets
this summer, according to a survey released today.

The survey, conducted by Virgin Money, consulted 690,000 season-ticket holders
from clubs across the country, and the results show 29% blame the rising costs
of following their team or the poor quality of football on offer as the reasons
for not renewing.

Nineteen per cent of Manchester United fans asked in the survey said they will
not renew because of the cost, while 31% of Aston Villa season-ticket holders
consulted said they will be absent next campaign because of the standard of
football on display.

Malcolm Clarke, chairman of the Football Supporters’ Federation, said: “We’ve
been begging clubs to peg ticket price rises for ages now. It appears that if
this research proves correct our worst fears will be proved correct.

“Football in this country is simply pricing itself out of the market compared
to other top European countries like Germany and Spain. With the new money
coming into football from the newly announced Premier League television deals
there should be a price freeze on tickets at a minimum.”

Virgin Money estimate the total spent per season by football fans across
Britain is a staggering £8.8bn (€12.9bn), with season-ticket holders spending a
average of £1,875 (€2,700) each a season.

:: Percentages of season-ticket holders not intending to renew next season:

Due to cost: Man Utd 19%, Birmingham 18%, West Brom 17%, Cardiff 16%,
Portsmouth 14%.

Due to standard of football: Villa 31%, Millwall 29%, Wolves 28%, Southampton
27%, Sunderland 26%.

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-5590780

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[39] Refs in the Arsenal end?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
from the SUN

'FANS are crying “Foul!” after two top refs were seen cheering Arsenal in the
Champions League.

We can blow the whistle on Andy D’Urso and Barry Knight after they were
pictured with Gunners fans in the stands at last week’s final against
Barcelona.

The pair have both refereed Arsenal games in the past — but footie chiefs
insist their actions have not compromised their impartiality.

Last night Arsenal fan Stuart Armsby, 19, said: “We were amazed to see them
there among the ordinary Arsenal fans.

“We can’t wait for one of them to referee one of our games next season.

“If I were a Man Utd or Chelsea fan, I’d be horrified. They are not supposed to
take sides.

“Supporters could accuse them of favouritism in the Premiership.”

Ironically the refs were snapped at the Stade de France in Paris after a
linesman was replaced for posing in a Barcelona shirt before the match.

D’Urso, 42, of Billericay, Essex, and Knight, 46, of Orpington, Kent, are both
on the elite Premiership “select group” of refs on £70,000 a year.

But rival supporters last night blasted them for openly cheering on Arsenal
with the fans.

Daniel Wynne, 36, of Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust said: “It’s
disturbing. It’s most inappropriate.”

Chelsea fan Jeremy Walters, 41, of supporters’ website CFCnet said: “This is
poor judgment. It compromises them.”

But soccer bosses last night revealed they were at the game as a “farewell
gift” to D’Urso after he was taken off the elite list for next season.

A spokesman said: “Neither are Arsenal fans.”

---------------------------------
[38] MEN on Les Olive
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
'MANCHESTER United stalwart Les Olive has died after a lengthy battle with
prostate cancer.
Salfordian Les, 78, helped steer the Reds through the dark days of the Munich
Air Disaster after he was thrust into the role of club secretary.

He joined the ground staff at Old Trafford at 14 and played twice for the first
team as a goalkeeper.

At the time of Munich Les had been the club's assistant secretary for three
years. When his boss, Walter Crickmer, was killed in the plane crash, Les, then
28, took on the senior role.

He faced the harrowing task of contacting the loved ones of the 23 players and
staff killed on the runway at Munich before organising funerals. He emerged
from the ordeal to build a 30-year secretarial career before being rewarded
with a directorship.

Sandy Busby, 70, the son of the late Sir Matt and a former Blackburn Rovers
player, said: "He will be fondly remembered as a wonderful man who was one of
the greatest servants Manchester United has ever known."

---------------------------------
[37] Photos of Van der Sar greeted by Ajax fans on his wedding day
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
at our blogsite at  http://manunitedfans.blogspot.com/
http://manunitedfans.blogspot.com/

---------------------------------
[36] Official site on Vidic
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
'Serbia and Montenegro are still reeling from the absence of United defender
Nemanja Vidic from their opening World Cup match against Holland.

Vidic's home nation are in Group C, one of the toughest, alongside
international giants Argentina, Holland, and African Cup of Nations finalists
Ivory Coast.

The Reds defender will miss the first match against his club team-mates Edwin
van der Sar and Ruud van Nistelrooy through suspension.

National coach Ilija Petkovic insists it puts Serbia and Montenegro at a huge
disadvantage.

"Vidic's absence will be a massive blow and it will shift the whole team's
balance," he said.

"Keeping a clean sheet against the Dutch without him will be very difficult,"
he added. "It is very important that we now avoid any injuries in the run-up."

Vidic was an integral part of the defence that conceded just one goal in the
World Cup qualifiers. His return against Argentina for Serbia's second match
could be crucial for the underdogs.

Although Argentina and Holland are favourites to progress from the group,
Petkovic isn't ruling his team out as the tournament's surprise package.

"It would be nice for a change if a team that has never won the World Cup
before does it this time," he said hopefully.

"It would be stunning and a joy for football fans around the world. Most
experts and pundits say we will do well to get past the group stage and I can't
disagree.

"I can't promise we will win the World Cup but I also can't say that we won't,
and don't want to. I have always been optimistic in life and we are going to
Germany in high spirits with a positive approach."

---------------------------------
[35] More Bobby Charlton
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
"It appears the treatment has gone quite well so far, but to make a mistake and
play him before he is fit would be disastrous. He has said he's feeling good,
but they will have to make absolutely sure that he is fit before he comes back.
It's not just a case of him playing as soon as he has recovered - he will need
a week or so to get fully fit."

http://www.laterooms.com/partner/pid-P1080.html?http://www.laterooms.com/en/hotels_manchester.html

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[34] Red meets Kerlon...
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
this in from RN reader Bill in Canada

'I met Kerlon today at VIC. He was injured and missed the game - but on asking
a Brazilian Coach his number (thinking he was on the field or bench) he pointed
him out to me in the stand.

I went and sat next to him and had a chat (not much because he speaks zero
English). He is very young and innocent. I did tell him I was a Manchester
United supporter - he seemed to understand, smiled a lot and gave me his
autograph. I told him United were a great club and that he should join them (
just kidding!!!)

Geoff and I spent the game rating each Brazilian player - but with little
success. Unfortunately no one stood out - perhaps the long grass or the rain
was putting them off. In fact the CANADIAN team was way better with better
individuals. Canada was 1-0 until the Mexican ref did the inevitable and gave
them a penalty and then a free kick - they scored from both. You can get a
sense of how Brazil prepare for every tournament. The reason they are here is
to prepare (4 games last and this week) for next years U-20 World Cup - in
Canada of course.'

---------------------------------
[33] Indy on Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
'United will sell the 29-year-old this summer, providing a £10m transfer fee
and a club that matches Van Nistelrooy's ambitions are involved in the deal,
after Ferguson responded to concerns about the striker's attitude and impact on
team morale by dropping him for the season's finale with Charlton and Roy
Keane's testimonial two days later.

The United manager's punishment is believed to have followed another training
ground dispute between Van Nistelrooy and Cristiano Ronaldo but, speaking for
the first time about the controversy from the Netherlands' World Cup training
camp in Switzerland, the forward denied walking out of the team hotel over his
omission from the Charlton game.'

---------------------------------
[32] Gary Nev on Rooney
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
"If he's fit and he's ready to play for England, that will be fantastic -
fantastic for for England and Manchester United. It's great for everybody if
he's fit and ready to go. On the other hand, if he's not fit, I know United
won't let him come away and rightly so. If he is fit, they will. They're a fair
club. There have been some suggestion that United don't want him fit for
England, and speaking from being an experienced player at United, I can say
that's absolute rubbish. He is one of their players and they look after their
players but they know Wayne's ambitions as a player and that he wants to play
in the World Cup. He's in the best hands at United, in the best environment
because he's there with no players or media around him, and it will be quiet.
Wayne will be alone with the physio looking after himself and making sure he
gives himself the best possible chance. Obviously it would be of huge benefit
to us to have Wayne coming back - but he's got to get himself fit from a broken
foot. People shouldn't underestimate what he has done. He has got a broken bone
in his body and it's got to heal. He's not broken a fingernail. He's broken a
bone. He's got a similar injury to what David Beckham had prior to the 2002
World Cup which heals a lot quicker than the injury I had so he's been
fortunate in that respect."

---------------------------------
[31] Belfast Telegraph on Bestie
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
'If football legend George Best were still alive, he would have celebrated his
60th birthday in style in Northern Ireland, his sister has revealed.

Speaking as she prepared for a number of special events organised to mark what
would have been the sporting icon's 60th birthday, his proud sister, Barbara
McNarry, revealed the football star had made great plans for his birthday
before he fell seriously ill.

"He spoke about his plans; he had it all thought out," she said.

"He was going to have a night at the Grosvenor Hotel in London and then he was
going to come home to Belfast and celebrate with his family and friends here.
He was going to have some sort of dinner there and then a special event here.

"I think he would love the fact we're celebrating in style for him. He was a
very humble man, but I think he would have appreciated everything we're doing."

And she said renaming the airport in his honour was a special birthday gift.

"We are absolutely delighted with the move, it is a great accolade for him,"
she said.

"We've had youth football leagues named after him, trophies named after him and
now he has an airport named after him. He's now up there with JFK and John
Lennon and that is something very special.

"I'd like to thank (Belfast City Airport chief executive) Brian Ambrose and the
airport for all their hard work. They have been wonderful."

Barbara believes the work of the George Best Foundation, which raises funds for
research into liver disease and alcoholism, and supports the promotion of a
healthy lifestyle among young people through participation in football, would
be the perfect present for her brother.

"If we can get kids playing football and we can raise as much money as possible
for liver research, I think that is a special present," she said.

Barbara said that, while the family still find George's death difficult to deal
with, the work of the foundation gives them something positive to focus on.

"Sometimes, I still get very angry because I just wish he was still here," she
said. "But through the foundation, we're doing something positive in his name
and that is very important to us.

"I find it very therapeutic in a way. I've had plenty of sleepless nights over
George's death, but when we're having a bad day, we just focus on the
foundation and that keeps us going.

"My dad, who is now 87, has gone through a lot. He lost his son and had to go
through that in a very public way, but he's really pleased with the foundation
too," she said.

"We're just focusing on trying to raise as much money as we can. We need
£500,000 to set up a research centre, which is being organised through
Professor Roger Williams, to get all the equipment needed, get the scientists
and get the whole thing up and running."

And she said the support of the people of Northern Ireland has also helped the
family deal with their grief.

"It is extremely hard to quantify, but we are constantly amazed by the people
here and the way they have offered us so much help with the foundation."

---------------------------------
[30] Our VIP Forums
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
Red News has set up a VIP members forum for readers and subscribers and those
paying £10 for entry for a year to share views, receive gossip and the
occasional breaking news story from Red News itself away from prying eyes and
ABUs. There are also a  Ticket & Travel Forum and Travel information Forum in
this VIP section.

 http://rnforum.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php http://rnforum.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php

All you have to do to join the forum is log in and sign in and create yourself
a username if you don't have one already, then if you are a subscriber follow
the instructions at  http://rnforum.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9703
http://rnforum.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9703 or if you are a reader or wish
to purchase entry also go to  http://rnforum.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9703
http://rnforum.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9703 and follow the instructions.

Just a reminder that those of you unable to check the website each day (and
remember we do update 24 hours a day) can receive the daily news straight into
your inbox by e.mail.

Just visit

and sign up and hey presto. We send you the news each day by e.mail. All you
have to do is sit back, read, and of course buy Red News!

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[29] Fortune's agent
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
"Quinton has spoken to both City and Bolton, but no decision has been made as
yet. There are also one or two Spanish clubs tracking Quinton.  He was very
impressed with both Bolton and Man City after speaking to them.  He had a good
feeling about Stuart Pearce and he would have no problem crossing the
City-United divide as he is a professional and only wants to play football.
Quinton is determined to prove a lot of people wrong and show he is over his
injuries."

---------------------------------
[28] Guardian on Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
'Ruud van Nistelrooy, ostracised and placed for sale at Manchester United,
could not conceal his anguish last night as he reflected on becoming the latest
player to learn that anyone who crosses Sir Alex Ferguson will be ruthlessly
disposed of.
Choosing his words carefully and not making direct reference to Ferguson, Van
Nistelrooy said he had not given up hope of playing for United again but he was
not "naive" and had accepted the chances of it happening were, at best, minimal.

The Holland striker, in Lausanne on a pre-World Cup training camp, has not
spoken to Ferguson since being dropped for United's final Premiership game of
the season against Charlton Athletic and informed that he would not be welcome
at Old Trafford for Roy Keane's testimonial two days later. Ferguson blamed it
on "a couple of incidents" in training, one being an argument with Cristiano
Ronaldo, but Van Nistelrooy was dismayed by reports that he had left the team
hotel of his own volition.
According to the 29-year-old Ferguson ordered him home and did not give him the
option of watching the Charlton match from the dugout. "One thing I want to
make clear is that I went because I had to go, not because I went myself," he
said. "I know a lot of people in Manchester don't understand it; well, it is
the same for me. I love Manchester United.

"I have two years left on my contract and if things stay the way they are at
the moment I will still be at the club next season. But I am not naive and the
fact I wasn't involved in the last Premiership game or Roy Keane's testimonial
was not a good sign."

His preference is to wait until after the World Cup before sorting out his
future whereas Ferguson would rather rid himself of what he believes to be a
disruptive player as quickly as possible to raise money for a hectic period of
transfer activity at Old Trafford. The club want to get their summer business
done before the World Cup and Van Nistelrooy's departure would increase their
financial position by about £10m to £15m.

Van Nistelrooy revealed that he had received sympathetic telephone calls from
several team-mates. He has also spoken at length with Keane and Jaap Stam, both
of whom have their own painful experiences of crossing Ferguson.

"What has happened has happened," he said. "I have a World Cup in front of me,
so I need to try to forget about it and move on. I don't feel there is more
pressure on me because I know Marco van Basten [the Holland coach] has
confidence in me, as do other coaches, my team-mates and the supporters, which
is all I need.

"I actually feel quite good. I have come into a team that is very motivated to
do well. I am part of that and I feel happy with it. In that sense, I can
forget what happened and try to move on, which is what I am doing."

---------------------------------
[27] Guardian on Italian scandal
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
'In the beginning of March, when Italy thrashed Germany 4-1 in a friendly in
Florence, the Azzurri coach Marcello Lippi could hardly have imagined that his
team's preparation for the finals would become so desperately difficult. But
only yesterday did Lippi finally receive the green light to travel to Germany
with the team after he had become involved in the corruption scandal which has
rocked Italian football in recent weeks.
On Friday Lippi endured a three-hour grilling about his involvement with the
GEA World football agency after a number of phone calls between him and
Juventus's former general director Luciano Moggi were made public, some of them
suggesting that Moggi had tried to influence the coach to pick players from
GEA, which is run by Moggi's son Alessandro.

To complicate matters further, Lippi's son Davide also works for GEA, which is
currently under investigation for "unfair competition with use of violence and
threats". Lippi was not placed under investigation but was interviewed by
magistrates as he may have relevant information to the case - and that was
enough to fuel speculation about a possible resignation ahead of the World Cup.
"I won't resign because my conscience is clear," Lippi said yesterday after a
meeting with Guido Rossi, the 75-year-old who has taken over from former
Italian Football Federation (FIGC) president Franco Carraro. "I came here just
to confirm my total trust and faith in Lippi's national team," Rossi said.

"I have never had any doubts about his position. It would have been crazy to
point out Lippi as guilty for the current situation in Italian football. We
have to punish the people who are responsible for what happened and Lippi is
not one of them."

The former Juventus coach has already tried to explain his conversations with
Moggi. "After eight years of working together, it is absolutely normal that he
is calling me," Lippi said last week. "If they had intercepted all the calls I
have had you would see that it was not only Juventus directors who called me. I
get calls from all the clubs but I have never had any kind of pressure [in
mind] when selecting my team."

The Italian players, meanwhile, have all come out to back the coach. "Lippi
deserves full respect," said Luca Toni, who scored 31 goals for Fiorentina this
season. "I talked to the rest of the team and everybody is behind Lippi.
Everyone who is found guilty in this scandal must pay, but Lippi is not one of
them."

The fans have not been as understanding. A group of supporters booed some of
the players at Azzurri's base in Coverciano with goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon,
who is currently under investigation for gambling irregularities, a particular
target.

Prosecutors are investigating the movements of large sums of money between
seven different bank accounts and studying telephone conversations recorded
over a three-month period involving Buffon. Last week the goalkeeper
voluntarily visited a Turin magistrate to give his version of events and
admitted to betting on matches in the past, but said he had not done so since
the FIGC outlawed players from betting on any football games.

Italians, meanwhile, are taking heart from the fact that the current situation
is very similar to the one in 1982, when Italy won the World Cup after the
build up had been dominated by a huge betting scandal."Italy have often reached
great results in extremely difficult situations," Toni said. "Nobody would have
bet anything on Italy's success ahead of the 1982 World Cup. We hope to emulate
that team now."

[26] Away match specials!
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by ed:
If you have any memorable stories - interesting incidents or just plain fond
memories - of the away match special trains that used to pack Utd fans on their
way to away matches (and sometimes mayhem) we'd love to hear your stories - as
usual send anything and everything to [EMAIL PROTECTED] - thanks!

For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon