http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/GtUolB/TM

RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the forum, and more check out the website at
http://www.rednews.co.uk
For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon

---------------------------------
[50] More on Draper
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:

http://www.mad.co.uk/Main/News/Articlex/ce6edb56ff44420281b7d8c334a64c83/Man-Utd-marketing-chief-departs.html

http://www.mad.co.uk/Main/News/Articlex/ce6edb56ff44420281b7d8c334a64c83/Man-Utd-marketing-chief-departs.html

'Peter Draper, Manchester United’s marketing director, has left the football
club after seven years.

Draper, who joined the Old Trafford-based club in 1999, is now understood to be
setting up his own company.

The precise reason for Draper’s departure has not been disclosed but there has
been speculation that the club’s American owners, the Glazer family, axed him
to pave the way for the introduction of marketer Jose Angel Sanchez, the
business brain who put Real Madrid at the top of football’s money league.

Draper’s departure follows Manchester United’s recent £56 million shirt
sponsorship deal with US insurance firm AIG.

Before joining Manchester United Draper was marketing director at Umbro
Sportswear for 13 years and prior to that he was National League administrator
for the English Basketball Association for 10 years.

His responsibilities at Manchester United included finding sponsor partners
that could benefit from the club’s global reach and maximising income for the
club from the partner programme.'

---------------------------------
[49] Guardian on Rooney injury
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
'Wayne Rooney is now understood to have damaged the tarsometatarsal joint at
the tip of his fractured fourth metatarsal. The fracture revealed from last
Thursday's scan is more complex: it is possible that he has a hairline crack on
the joint. If that diagnosis is true, it should delay his recovery.
Such small breaks, known as non-disclosed fractures, are often undetectable on
X-rays, hence its not being seen on the scan taken immediately after the
injury. If there is a further fracture, significant wear and tear could also
affect the ligaments close to the joint, which consists of the articulations of
the five metatarsals, the three cuneiforms and the cuboid bone.

"He certainly won't be coming back any quicker," said Ian Sargent, an
orthopaedic surgeon at Birmingham's Selly Oak hospital. "I'd say he's got a 60%
chance of being back in a month's time for the quarter-finals.
"Getting back to full fitness is now an even bigger problem, he won't be
totally ready for months. It depends whether Sven-Goran Eriksson will be happy
to use his best player when he's not fully fit. There is a chance that he may
still be on course to return and that the added damage may not affect his
current rehabilitation, which seems to be going well, but it is likely to be
bad news."

Tarsometatarsal injuries are common in sport, particularly athletics, when the
foot twists as the Manchester United striker's did in the Premiership match
against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on April 29.

It is also known as the Lisfranc joint: named after the 19th-century French
surgeon Jacques Lisfranc de St Martin, who gained notoriety for his operations
within Napoleon's cavalry. When horsemen fell with a foot wrenched in the
stirrup, Lisfranc's only option was to perform a partial amputation.

Rooney can count himself lucky that medical techniques have evolved
sufficiently for him to avoid such treatment but his chances of suffering World
Cup heartache increase by the day.'

---------------------------------
[48] For those that care
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
few papers suggest Sven will become the new Real Madrid manager.

---------------------------------
[47] Newcastle not happy with England either
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
as Owen is injured and his club didn't know

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd

"I am disappointed that no-one within the England camp informed us immediately
of the situation regarding Michael on Monday. To be the last to know, via the
media, is certainly disappointing, especially after we have kept the England
camp informed all the way about Michael's fitness since he first injured his
foot and we have done all we can to get Michael fit to play a big part for
England at the World Cup finals this summer. We've co-operated all the way
along with England to help Michael, and that's why this is disappointing. We'll
be making our feelings known and seeking an explanation from the England team
management plus reassurances that this doesn't happen again"

---------------------------------
[46] Heinze starts for Argentina
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
from SKY

'Manchester United defender Gabriel Heinze has been confirmed as a starter in
Argentina's World Cup opener with Ivory Coast on June 10, but there is no place
for Chelsea striker Hernan Crespo.

Heinze has made a superb recovery from the serious knee injury he picked up in
September and after impressing coach Jose Pekerman in a warm up game, has been
given the green light to start in Hamburg.

Chelsea marksman Crespo will have to content himself with a place on the bench,
as Pekerman has opted to pair Carlos Tevez and Julio Cruz in attack, while
Barcelona star Lionel Messi will not be risked having only recently overcome a
thigh complaint.

"The line up of the team for the debut in the World Cup will be the same as the
one that played the last friendly match in Buenos Aires before we travelled to
Italy," said Pekerman from their training base in Rome.

In light of Pekerman's comments, the Argentine team to face Ivory Coast will be
as follows:

Roberto Abbondanzieri; Nicolas Burdisso, Roberto Ayala, Gabriel Heinze, Juan
Pablo Sorin; Maxi Rodriguez, Javier Mascherano, Esteban Cambiasso, Juan Roman
Riquelme; Carlos Tevez, Julio Cruz.

Pekerman believes Argentina are approaching concert pitch ahead of this
summer's tournament.

"We have been working very well and we still have ten more days and that will
be very important," added Pekerman.'

---------------------------------
[45] Pugh leaves Sheep
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
Leeds' Kevin Blackwell on Danny Pugh

"Danny will be leaving us. He's exercised his right to become a free agent and
look for another club. I can't speak highly enough of him, and he's done a good
job for us. But he hasn't had too much first-team football here and I'm sure
he'll be able to find that elsewhere."

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-5590780

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[44] Subscribe and Support the fanzine and this site
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
Subscribe to Red News. And when you do you get a years FREE entry to our VIP
Forum

Subscribe to Red News, the actual printed fanzine for 10 issues (a year).

Make sure you get EVERY issue of Red News, sent to your door! Thanks to our
link with the safe, simple to use and world wide massively known paypal you can
order your 10 issue subscription to Red News via credit card - Visa,
Mastercard, Amex, Switch or Solo. Or send sterling cheque to Red News, P.o.Box
176, Manchester, M16 8LG.

Prices are as follows, please fill in the price column online accordingly

Ypur support keeps this website alive. Let us develop and grow and provide even
more news! 100% Independent. 100% Unofficial. Let's keep it that way.

RN 125 out May 7th
RN 124. 1976 Cup Final interviews
RN 123 Exclusive Ole interview
RN 121 George Best tribute Still available
RN 120 Still available
RN 119 Still available

In the UK £2.50 inc p&p each copy
ROW £3.50 inc p&p  each copy

UK 10 issue sub £25.00 inc p&p
Europe 10 issue sub £30.00 inc p&p
Rest Of The World 10 issue sub £35.00 inc p&p

And those kind hearted souls out there can help with our costs by making an
online donation via paypal. Doesn't matter how small the amount is, every bit
helps with our costs - thanks. click on.

subscribe e.mail

donate e.mail

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

All our t-shirts - Some classic designs

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm

ECF '68 High Quality retro Shirts with Hand Embroided Crest. Order by credit
card or cheque at...

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP

NEW UNOFFICIAL ALTERNATIVE SHIRTS

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm

---------------------------------
[43] United statement
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
“Following a meeting today between England’s medical team and Manchester
United’s medical team, with both managers present, it has been agreed to obtain
a further precautionary CT scan on 7 June in order for the England management
to make a decision before the deadline of 9 June. Both parties agree that
everything possible is being done to aid the recovery of the fracture, which
involves the joint.”

---------------------------------
[42] Dr writes in Times on Rooney
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
 http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,28782-2202258,00.html
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,28782-2202258,00.html

'By Dr Thomas Stuttaford
The Times medical expert, says the forward's toe will take years to heal
properly

THERE are three stages to the healing of a fracture such as the one Wayne
Rooney suffered last month against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and there is no
hope that the Manchester United forward could possibly complete all of them
before the World Cup finals after such a recent injury to his metatarsal. Even
so, he may well have a serviceable foot by then, but this is only an opinion
that can be given by an orthopaedic surgeon who has examined him and his scans.
Whether Rooney, and his managers — Sir Alex Ferguson at United and Sven-Göran
Eriksson for England — decide that it is a good idea to chance playing him when
his foot is useable but not completely healed has to be a decision that they
take in the light of the medical evidence.

After a stress fracture, the union between the broken ends is visible within
three weeks and the patient is likely to be able to use it within 12 weeks. The
time that it takes will depend on their previous health, their age and their
metabolism.

Rooney, and his various football managers, will have to consider the basic
lessons of orthopaedics before they come to a decision, and only then can they
reach a judgment if playing him in the World Cup with an incompletely healed
bone is a justifiable gamble or not.

The first stage of a fracture healing is the inflammatory stage. It lasts for
about two weeks in the average patient. The second stage is the reparative
stage. The union at this stage is based on callus formation between the two
broken ends that it unites.

Standard bone is laid down over the next six to 12 weeks. Initially, it is a
bit wobbly at the fracture site, but dense lamella bone replaces the callus and
forms a firm union. At some time between the twelfth and 26th week, a patient’s
orthopaedic surgeon will decree that the bone is now united.

The end of the reparative stage is not the end of the story. During the next
couple of years, the new bone is slowly remodelled so as to withstand any
special stresses and strains that the person may have to bear.

No one would suggest that Rooney should wait for a couple of years to have a
perfectly remodelled metatarsal suitable for a footballer. On the other hand,
he would be lucky to have a sound union within three months of the fracture,
and it might well be six months.

However, at any time from the sixth to the twelfth week onwards his bone might
be adequate and if he was lucky and he didn’t have exceptional strains, all
might be well.

Concern has been expressed that the fracture crosses into a joint. This always
bodes badly so far as future osteoarthritis is concerned, and the immediate
pain from the injury while healing is taking place is also likely to be
greater, but it is not usually included in the factors determining the time of
bone union.

This depends on the blood supply to the bone, the type of bone involved, any
infection that may have occurred and whether or not the soft tissue in the gaps
between the broken ends together with the size of the gap (usually very small
in any form of stress fracture), as well as the patient’s age and general
health.

Playing Rooney would be a gamble, but with the World Cup imminent it is a
gamble that many people would expect England to take, but not possibly
Ferguson.'

---------------------------------
[41] Alastair Campbell in Times on Soccer Aid match
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
'IN THE PROGRAMME for Saturday’s Soccer Aid extravaganza, I was asked my
greatest football moment. I gave it as the time my younger son, Calum, went to
a Manchester United match at a packed Old Trafford, watched an amazing draw
with Blackburn Rovers, then said, “I still think Burnley’s better.”
If I get asked back by Soccer Aid next year — and surely there will be another
one after Saturday’s success — I will have a different, unforgettable
experience to describe. I don’t want to go all misty eyed and spiritual on you,
but it is one that really had me wondering whether there was not some divine
being up there — a hand of God maybe — guiding me to happiness and fulfilment.

I shall start at the beginning of match day. I was so excited by the prospect
of playing for the Rest of the World against England that, for the fourth night
running, I couldn’t sleep properly.

I am the first into breakfast. There are no other players in sight. A man
introduces himself as Richard Willmott, vice-president of Boca Juniors, a
friend of Diego Maradona and a political analyst who wants to chew the fat on
electoral strategy. It’s now 10am and there are still no other players around.
I ask Richard what he has planned for the day. He says Diego is about to go for
a training session at Old Trafford.

“You wanna come?”

Pardon?

I go up to my room to get my boots. Maradona and his friends are waiting as I
get back down. Then we’re into the cars and away.

There are a few people milling around the stadium as we arrive. Cameras are
being set up. Stewards are preparing. But the ground is near silent, the pitch
deserted. Maradona walks down the tunnel, whistling. He gets to the pitchside
barrier. He raises his arms, says “wow” and a huge smile lights up the stadium.

We go into the away dressing-room where the kit man is laying out the strips
for the match nine hours later. Maradona’s place is in the corner next to Brian
McFadden, the singer. He can’t wait to get out there. He undresses, rummages
through a kit bag and pulls out an undersized shirt and oversized shorts. He
looks in pretty good shape. There are a few more pounds around the middle than
in his heyday but gone are the rolls of fat that once made him so overweight
that David Ginola said it “pained my heart to see him, the greatest player of
all time, being stared at like a freak”.

Now he is being stared at again, for the very simple reason that he is about to
go out on a football field and kick a ball. There are maybe 50 people in the
stadium. But they are an expectant crowd. The pitch has not yet been cut and
the ground staff want to limit the damage to it. So I hear the most
extraordinary sentence imaginable coming out of the mouth of the guy in charge
of the arrangements. “Only Maradona and Alastair allowed on the pitch. Everyone
else stay here.”

Short, a bit stiff and with a fair few scars on the legs, he walks on and I
follow. He walks slowly, looking around each stand in turn. He breathes in
deeply, fills his lungs, and then lets out a sound that is a mix between a war
cry and a child’s exclamation of glee. “Whooooooaaaar-eeee-yaaaaa.”

Then he laughs and he turns to me and says — at least I think he says — “I am
imagining the game, visualising how it will be, imagining how I will play.” I
speak fluent French. Never have I so wished I spoke Spanish, too, as he talks
to me and I struggle to understand, as I talk to him and he struggles to
understand. For that reason, I cannot vouch for the accuracy of these quotes,
though I think I have the sentiment.

The main sentiment is that he loves football. Not just loves it like you or I
love football but loves it like a man loves a woman or a child loves a parent.
It makes him happy. It fulfils him. It gives him joy because he knows he can
give joy to others.

Then he stops again, looks around again, breathes deep again, then grimaces a
little. He seems worried about his knee. I ask if he is OK. He smiles and nods,
says he is always OK on the football pitch.

By now we are at the far end of the pitch. We still haven’t seen a ball, other
than those he signed so patiently in the dressing-room. So we walk a little
more. He visualises a little more and he beams joy again. He asks how many
people will be there. 70,000. More maybe. He nods the nod that says he loves it
here now, but he will love it even more when he runs out to a full crowd
calling his name or booing him.'

---------------------------------
[40] Sven on Rooney
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
"I'm always positive about it, optimistic...I'm not worried. I don't think it's
a change at all. I was in the medical meeting today and I don't think it's
anything new."

Onspeed - cheap broadband like speeds for dial up users, only £24.99 a year!

 http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-795737-10385148

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

 http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-795737-10378344 "Broadband Speeds for £24.99 a
Year"
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[39] Telegraph on Van der Sar - Fulham-Juve deal
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
''The £5 million sale of Edwin van der Sar to Fulham from Juventus in 2001 is
one of 41 transfers being investigated by prosecutors as part of the growing
scandal in Italian football.

Although there is no suggestion Fulham have done anything wrong, it is the
first time a transfer involving an English club has been drawn into the
corruption controversy engulfing Italy and centring on Juventus.

Public prosecutors in Turin yesterday ordered the seizure of documents
concerning the 41 transfers, including Zinedine Zidane's £46 million world
record move to Real Madrid from Juventus.

In addition 71 teams from Serie A down to amateur levels have also received
requests for information from investigators probing the Turin club's transfer
dealings to see if they entered lesser sums for the sale of players to avoid
paying higher taxes.

Juventus' entire board resigned earlier this month along with general manager
Luciano Moggi, who is being investigated for allegedly trying to influence
referee appointments.

Meanwhile, Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon was forced to break off from
training for the World Cup to be questioned by investigators in Parma.

Buffon has been accused of betting huge sums on matches he was involved in - a
practice which is against Italian law as well as the Italian FA's rules.'

---------------------------------
[38] Oxford friendly
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage.php?type=newsdetail&news_id=507&month=05&day=26&year=2006

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage.php?type=newsdetail&news_id=507&month=05&day=26&year=2006

'Oxford today announced their almost complete pre-season friendlies line-up,
including two games against Premiership opposition. There is one game that has
yet to be confirmed, which will occur on Saturday 29 July, but two home games
so far announced will be against Portsmouth, on Friday 4 August, and Manchester
United, on Tuesday 8 August. Arry Redknapp has said that Pompey will be at
full-strength, while the Red Devils may be at full strength, or may feature
Ruud van Nistelrooy instead. Both games are likely to have large attendances,
and as their main purpose is revenue building that's probably a good thing.'

---------------------------------
[37] Bobby Robson on John O'Shea for Ireland last week
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
"I felt he could have been more physical.  He certainly needed to take care of
their number six, Jorge Acuna, a bit more than he did. He is a better player
than what he gives us sometimes, but we like him because he is big, strong and
good in the air.  As long as he keeps his passing simple, rather than trying to
be a genius, then I think he will be a very effective, influential player for
us."

---------------------------------
[36] Ben Foster's agent on England call up
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
"Ben's delighted. It is a dream come true for him and is a wonderful end to
what has been a great season for him. He is such a nice lad, it really couldn't
have happened to a nicer person. The whole thing is an incredible story, he was
playing for Wrexham this time last year - and now look at him."

---------------------------------
[35] Dam Tournament
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
Italian side Inter replaces Galatasaray in the tournament, as the Turkish
season now starts earlier than previously anticipated

If you haven't already signed up to e.bay.co.uk - quick and easy to do - do so
and each registration when you make a bid on ebay.co.uk within the first 30
days helps this site.

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-5048476 Register on eBay.co.uk!

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-5826355
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

And you can join up and if you use e.bay.com for a bid within 30 days that
helps us too

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-5377629

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[34] Henry Winter from Fridays Telegraph
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
'Sir Alex Ferguson is being ridiculously depicted as a bolshy Braveheart, a man
hell-bent on wrecking England's World Cup dream, by being over-protective with
Wayne Rooney. Ferguson's passion and job description revolve exclusively around
doing what is best for Manchester United, in getting his team primed for what
could be another awkward season. Ferguson's priority is United, not England.

Rooney was such a talismanic force at Old Trafford last season, possibly even
keeping Ferguson in a job, that the Scot is understandably wary of risking his
prized £30 million asset. Ferguson would be irresponsible to fall in with the
nationwide hysteria willing Rooney to defy medical science. The bone of
contention must be given time to heal properly.

Echoing his Abba compatriots, Sven-Goran Eriksson can take a chance on Rooney.
England's head coach knows that his chances of lifting the World Cup and
rescuing his reputation may rest on Rooney's availability. Eriksson leaves in a
couple of months and can take a short-term perspective. Ferguson must adopt a
long-term stance.

Ferguson is right. England's most important player can undergo all the MRI
scans in the medical world, but only intensive and lengthy training can
possibly get him close to serious involvement in the World Cup, and even then
only for the knockout stages. A tough-tackling Paraguayan centre-half will
detect any weakness in Rooney's foot faster than any scan.

This special talent must not be rushed back. Ferguson has a duty of care to the
player himself, as well as to his employers. Yet half the country seems to have
turned into doctors, and the rest into Nostradamus in predicting Rooney's
likely return date. No one can possibly know.

Not until this magical striker laces up a boot, races through the gears and
brakes suddenly will anyone have a clue how well the bone has knitted. Not
until the forward withstands a tackle in training, passing the John Terry
physical, and then smashes a ball into the top corner will it become clear
whether the bone is free from aches and pains. Even then, he cannot be thrown
into a World Cup match without some time off the bench.

For all the encouraging sights of Rooney on a bicycle, moving freely and even
stepping on to a dance-floor, the fact that his lace was undone might indicate
that the foot is still tender. Here we go again, playing the mystic and the lay
medic. No one knows. Not even the consultants poring over yesterday's scan can
put a date on when Rooney will actually be match-fit. Footballers regain
sharpness at different rates. Rooney may have preserved much of the fitness
that served him so well during the season. No one knows.

For all Rooney's naturally bullish nature and willingness to run through pain,
Ferguson and Eriksson must be careful with him. Contrast Rooney with Owen, who
broke a more awkward metatarsal but needed to sort out his head, as much as his
foot, before taking to the field for England B at Reading last night. Owen is a
creature of confidence, whereas Rooney thinks less and just goes out and plays,
ignoring any niggles. Yet even if Rooney believes himself to be fit, Ferguson
is right to preach caution.'

---------------------------------
[33] David Bond in Fridays Telegraph on Dr Stone background
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
'The sacking of Dr Mike Stone on Tuesday, after 10 years at Manchester United,
was caused by a row with Sir Alex Ferguson over the medic's outside work with
Olympic athletes based at the English Institute of Sport.

Stone's departure was initially blamed on a clash with Ferguson over the
treatment of United's England striker Wayne Rooney, but The Daily Telegraph has
learnt that it was his work with other elite sports stars which led to his
dismissal.

Institute officials have confirmed to the Telegraph that Stone has spent the
past 18 months working two hours a week as a paid contractor, treating athletes
at its northwest base at Sportcity, in Manchester. Although the centre is part
of the City of Manchester stadium complex - home to United's local rivals City
- the institute has no direct links with the football club and is a major
element of the legacy of the 2002 Commonwealth Games.

United sources said that Ferguson and United's hierarchy had initially backed
Stone's work with the institute, believing it would benefit the way in which he
treated players and also help him to develop new medical practices.

However, for some reason, that view has changed in the past few months.
Officially United refused to comment on the Telegraph's discovery, but sources
close to the club confirmed that Stone's work with the institute was a main
part of the row which had led to his abrupt departure.

Claire Furlong, a spokesman for the institute, said: "Dr Stone has been with us
for 18 months and works two hours a day. He is a paid contractor who forms part
of our medical support team for elite Olympic and Commonwealth athletes based
in the northwest of England."

United have maintained for the past two days that Stone's sacking had nothing
to do with Rooney's recovery from the broken foot suffered against Chelsea on
April 29. They said there had been a "difference of opinion on a
non-footballing and non-clinical issue".

---------------------------------
[32] More Fergie from Friday
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
“Obviously, we’re making progress but the fracture is not completely healed. It
is going exactly to the timetable we decided at the beginning. We said this is
going to take six weeks and that is exactly where we are at this very moment.
We’ve been right all along. We will continue his development in terms of the
training part next week. Hopefully, he’ll do some light jogging and we’ll
monitor it as we go along. We’re praying and hoping. I’ve said all along we’d
get him there somehow. We’ll do our very best and that’s what we’re doing. But
there has to be an improvement and a complete recovery. It’s not an easy
injury, as anyone who has had it knows. We have to tread carefully. Hopefully,
we’ll get there. The next scan is the key one, of course. Our medical staff
said at the very outset that it’s a six-week job before training. We have never
strayed from that. We know the injury."

---------------------------------
[31] Interest for Timm
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
from SKY

'OB Odense have confirmed their interest in Mads Timm, just days after the
player was released by Manchester United.

The 21-year-old will be disappointed he was judged to have been surplus to
requirements at Old Trafford but will be relieved to find out other clubs are
keen on his services.

In March 2005, Timm was sentenced to twelve months in a young offenders'
institute for dangerous driving but was kept on by the club, at least
initially, despite his indiscretion.

OB have been quick to issue their intent with regards the Danish striker, eager
to wrap up a deal with the player in the next few days.

''We are in ongoing discussions with Mads Timm and have been for some time,''
conceded OB director Kim Brink to Stiftstidende.'

---------------------------------
[30] Fergie quotes from late Friday
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
“Wayne has to take care of himself, not just concerning what he can do from a
medical point of view. Wayne has to work hard himself and make sure he is
getting the proper rest, wearing the orthopaedic boot at the right times.
Therefore, hopefully, the fracture will be completely healed by June 14. If
not, it’s impossible. Because he’s young, he doesn’t feel pain and that’s the
dangerous area. The scan shows the fracture isn’t healed. I promised the boy on
the day it happened I would get him to the World Cup and that’s what we intend
to do. I’m trying my very best to do that. We had the same injury with Roy
Keane, Gary Neville and David Beckham. We are the one club that has had it more
than any other and that gives us an experience of dealing with this. Hopefully,
that experience is going to be the most important thing for Wayne in getting to
the level we need to get him to. There seems to be a perception we don’t want
him to go. Yet if you think about it, the one player at this club we want to go
is Wayne Rooney. Getting the experience at 20 years of age of going to a World
Cup will benefit the player and ourselves. He has the character to get fit, the
outgoing personality and determination about him. He is a brave lad and those
things are working in his favour.”

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-5042816

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[29] Oliver Kay in Fridays Times
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 by ed:
'MORE than anything, it is the circus that Sir Alex Ferguson dreads. Contrary
to the noises in the shires, this Scot is actually quite enthused by the
prospect of Wayne Rooney playing for England in the World Cup just weeks after
suffering a fractured metatarsal, but the Manchester United manager is haunted
by the idea of the forward being carried along on a tide of national hysteria
and allowing his heart to rule his head as David Beckham did four years ago.
Ferguson is not alone in this regard. More than one England player has
whispered the odd concern about the circus that might develop if the Rooney
bandwagon gets out of control once they reach Germany. The main worry is not so
much that the forward’s inclusion in the squad will detract attention away from
what is happening on the pitch but that, if emotion rather than common sense
begins to cloud the issue, Rooney may be forced into making the same mistakes
that Beckham did in the last World Cup.

It is that experience — that of watching Beckham race back from injury, cut
corners in his rehabilitation and fail do himself or his team justice in Japan
— that troubles not only Ferguson but also many others around the England camp,
where mild amusement at the relative lack of focus on other issues is tempered
by concern that the focus on Rooney might prove too much whether he manages to
get fit or not.

That is what happened with Beckham in 2002 and Ferguson seemed to shudder at
the memory when he assessed the Rooney situation at the start of the month.

“He wasn’t fit enough to play in the World Cup, to be honest,” the United
manager said with a grimace. “He made the mistake of joining up with England
(on a training camp) in Dubai. He would have been much fitter if he had stayed
here, but he wanted to go to Dubai.”

Hence Rooney being told the moment he suffered the injury at Stamford Bridge
four weeks ago today that his rehabilitation would be overseen by United, not
the FA. Ferguson has megalomaniac tendencies, but, in this case, his control
over the situation has been spot-on.

“We mustn’t rush Wayne back too early,” he said soon after the injury took
place. “If he’s not fit, the boy wouldn’t do himself justice in the finals and
that would be an even bigger disappointment for England fans.”

And it would. Nobody appears to have given much consideration to the idea that
Rooney might return ring-rusty and out of sorts. His comeback appearance after
his last metatarsal injury in 2004 was truly spectacular — a stunning hat-trick
against Fenerbahçe, the Turkish side, in the Champions League in what was also
his debut for United, having moved from Everton during his rehabilitation — but
that was because he had been held back until the moment was right. Would the
same sense of restraint apply if he was sitting on the substitutes’ bench with
England trailing to Poland and the minutes ticking away in the last 16 next
month? The temptation to introduce Rooney could be too much.

Rooney will, barring any unexpected mishap, be reunited with his international
team-mates when they arrive at United’s Carrington training ground tomorrow,
but he will remain in the care of Ferguson’s medical staff — specifically Tony
Gill, effectively thrust into national service after Mike Stone, United’s team
doctor, left Old Trafford earlier this week after clashes with the club’s
management.

All being well, he will be declared fit to travel with the rest of the England
squad to Germany on June 5, but his critical next MRI scan in Manchester nine
days later will again be overseen by Gill.

And if the news is bad — if Rooney is told there is little point in him
returning to Germany — Ferguson and United can expect to be accused of stealing
the crown jewels, or worse still, treason. But if that is the case, the Scot
will be doing it because he has the interests of England’s best footballer — if
not necessarily England’s national team — at heart.'

For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon