here is the link to the story.It is shameful that a lot of foreign people
believed that the Egyptian language must still be alive while the copts do no
think except in a very negative way.

_http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=106_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=106) #
    language’s last  survivors

By Joseph  Mayton
First Published: December 10, 2005
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/popimage.aspx?ImageID=29)
<IMAGECAPTION>Coptic is a combination of the ancient  Egyptian languages
Demotic, Hieroglyphic and
<ARTICLE
_CAIRO_ (http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=106#) :
Considered an extinct language, the _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  language is
believed to exist only in the  liturgical
language of the _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  Church in Egypt.
The ancient language that  lost in prominence thanks
largely to the Arab incursion into Egypt over  1300 years ago remains the
spoken language of the church and only two  families in Egypt.
_Coptic_ (http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  is a
combination of the ancient Egyptian  languages Demotic, Hieroglyphic and
Hieratic, and was the language used by  the Ptolemaic rulers of _Egypt_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=106#)   following the
spread of
Greek culture throughout much of the Near East. In  essence, it is the language
of
the ancient Egyptians themselves.
Mona Zaki is one of only a handful of people that  continue to use the
language in everyday conversation. She speaks a  colloquial form of _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  with her parents
and a
few relatives that  dates back 2,000 years.
“In many ways it helps strengthen my faith,” Zaki  said. “It has really
helped when I go to church because they still use a  form of _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  for many
services.” Her
dialect, however,  differs slightly from the standard _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  that is used for
study and church
services.
She does not speak _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  with her
children.
“I felt that _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  was a worthless
language to have my  children speak, therefore I did
not do so when they were young,” said  Zaki.
_Coptic_ (http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  is the
language of the first Christian  church in history, and when the members of
the two families that speak the  colloquial form of _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  die, it will be
the first language
of the  early Christian churches to become extinct.
Among those early languages, Aramaic was thought to  be extinct until recent
history proved otherwise. The language is still  spoken in parts of southern
Turkey and northwest Syria. Zaki feels it  would be a great loss to _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  Christianity and
the world if the _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  language is
totally lost.
“I hope that the world will come to realize the  importance of _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  in Christian
doctrine,
” Zaki said. “Egypt  is the first home for a Christian church and that makes
_Coptic_ (http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  truly
the first language of _Christianity_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=106#)   in a sense.”
“It is sad to think that the language will truly be  dead in the next 100
years. They are already classifying _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  as a dead
language in most encyclopedias,”  Zaki
said. Neither parents used _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  with their
children.
This is similar to the historical decline of the _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  language. With
the Arab conquest,
Arabic  began to be the language spoken in everyday life. After a period of
religious turmoil in Egypt, _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  leaders decided
to use Arabic as their main  means of
conversation in order to show the Arab rulers that they were not  conspirators
of
the European Crusaders.
It is a sad fact that the language will soon go the  way of Latin.
Copt itself means Egypt. The word Egypt comes from  the Greek aiguptios and
the Arabic qupt – both of those words were derived  from the _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  language that was
spoken
when each  community ascended upon Egypt.
_Coptic_ (http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  is the
closest descendant to the spoken  language of the ancient Egyptians.
Combining the _Greek_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=106#)
alphabet with Demotic, _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  is a unique
conglomeration of languages.  Despite this fact,
_Coptic_ (http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  has no
official status in Egypt. The form  spoken in church services differs from Zaki’
s. _Coptic_ (http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  is a
combination of the ancient Egyptian  languages Demotic, Hieratic and
Hieroglyphic. It was the latest evolution  of the _Egyptian_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=106#)   language.
“My parents passed the language down to me like  their parents did before
them.
Unfortunately for Copts throughout Egypt, this  process was broken over the
years,” she said. “I guess I have continued  the destruction of the language
in many ways by me not passing it along to  my children
“My parents felt it was an important part of our  heritage and spoke to me in
_Coptic_ (http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  since
I can remember,”
Zaki revealed. “Why I didn’t pass on the language  to my children, I don’t
know.” Zaki says that she often receives strange  looks when she is overheard
speaking _Coptic_ (http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)
on her mobile phone. “People look at me as  if I am an alien and I don’t
belong. I guess that is what my ancestors had  to deal with,although violently
in
some instances,” she said,which is the  main reason that Zaki chose not to
speak _Coptic_ (http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)
with her children.
“I didn’t want my kids to have to experience the  exclusion that _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  had with me when
was younger,” she  revealed. “I can remember my friends making fun of me
when I talked to my  parents
But it is vital to her cultural understanding of  being a Copt in a country
dominated by _Islam_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=106#) .  “It gives me the
strength to practice my faith despite all the hardship
that being Christian in an Islamic country has,” Zaki said.
Some scholars have theorized that some remote  villagers in the Delta region
of Egypt or in the south of the country may  still speak forms of the _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  language.
Because many Egyptians live in  small villages away from government control and
active study by  anthropologists, it is theorized that _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  will persist
despite official
numbers.
“It would be _nice_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=106#)   to have more
people speaking _Coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";) ,” Zaki admitted.
“It would mean that our  culture
and way of life will continue in the years to come.”
That is unlikely considering the evidence. As it is  already considered a
dead language akin to Latin, it seems implausible  that undiscovered speakers
of
_Coptic_ (http://www.dailystaregypt.com/search.aspx?Keyword="Coptic";)  will be
discovered.
Hundreds of languages are lost each year as the  remaining speakers pass away.

____________________________________
Comment on article! _Add New Comment on  article!_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=106#CommentFormAnchor)

 (http://www.treemenu.net/)
     _Comments on  Article_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=106)
     (javascript:clickOnNode("1"))   _coptic  language_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/thread.aspx?ThreadID=290)
     (javascript:clickOnNode("2"))   _Coptic  Language_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/thread.aspx?ThreadID=353)
     (javascript:clickOnNode("3"))   _coptic_
(http://www.dailystaregypt.com/thread.aspx?ThreadID=364)

A tree  for site navigation will open here if you enable JavaScript in your
browser.