Before you get curious about the voltage levels in the transmit strip,
first check that the bleeder resistors are actually not burnt open, they
are the 2 watt resistors on the circuit board that holds the diodes -
these fail over time and will probably crack from transit, with a
voltmeter over the leads turn off the power and watch the voltage drop
off - if it doesn't drop in 40-60 seconds the high voltage caps are
still charged and you are likely to take a shock while poking around on
the board or transmit connector. If you have the ep38 manual you can get
the value to replace them, there should be 2 100k and 2 200k and a 3.3k
- I have one of these at my home but haven't found the manual yet, I am
just going from what I have replaced on the board already and I always
left a set of spares in the cabinets because cellphone-shack (read radio
shack) stopped carrying 2 watt resistors a long time ago. I found a torn
piece of a schematic copy tucked in the cabinet, the high voltage is
pins 4 and 5, 9 is the audio or pl to the tx strip. If my memory is
correct, the high voltage only comes on when the relay is actuated by
holding tb502-10 low, which points to another area of wear and tear on
the ep38 - the ptt or tx relay and again don't get too close unless you
are sure the caps are draining - I have added new light to the penthouse
room many times working on our club repeaters, this is why there are 4
of them at my house to be rewired.

--
73...Clark Beckman N8PZD