  From: Kevin Custer
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:02 PM
  Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Holiday Special - MICOR 2 meter receiver
conversion from W3KKC

  Tom,

  You say you find similar operation on 4 or 5 units.  By that do you mean they
won't make book specification on any frequency below 146 MHz?  If that is the
case, I would believe something is wrong.  I have seen many Mitrek high-band
receivers that were tuned for 144 something and had very good sensitivity.

  Let me ask you this....   When tuned at 144.89, is the front-end tuning all
"one ended", or is there adjustment to spare?  In other words, can you tune the
front-end without the fear of the tuning screws falling into the casting?  If
you have room left to go lower in frequency, then the front-end is not the
problem, and you'll need to look elsewhere for the lack of sensitivity.
Another question -  do these 4 or 5 units tune and make book spec sensitivity
on their original high-band channel?

  I guess what I'm saying is I doubt the problem is the front-end helical
resonators, but if there is a need for a conversion I'm not opposed to looking
into making a modification available, if it is needed.  If there are others on
the list that have had good luck with the Mitrek on frequencies below 146 MHz,
please chime in and let us know what you have and how well it works.

  Kevin

    Hello Kevin
        You are correct on your freqs for xmit and rcv.  The Mitrek units I
have will only tune receive to 146.00Mhz.  This leaves more than one meg to go
to meet tolerance on 144.890.  I have tried 4 or 5 units and find similar
operation of all.  This is the reason for my question about the Micor coils
working for Mitrek.  Thanks.  73 de Tom Manning, AF4UG