§97.111 Authorized transmissions.
(a) An amateur station may transmit the following types of two-way
communications:
  (3) Transmissions necessary to exchange messages with a station in another
FCC-regulated service while providing emergency communications;

Yes, we are allowed to do so only while providing emergency communications.
It's up to us to determine (hopefully with a good helping of common sense)
what is an emergency.

-Brian