From: Kevin Custer <kug...@kuggie.com>
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, July 26, 2010 3:47:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Repeater receiver testing

>yes I know -55db is I think around 399 microvolts which will flatten any
>receiver,

I sure hope not; there are many signals coming down my antenna that are  that
strong.  In fact, my 440 repeater 13 miles away is at about that level  at my
antenna connector.
Reminds me of a test I did with a GE MASTR Pro VHF receiver (stock - no preamp
-
ER-41C) and a GE MASTR II PLL exciter (stock - 200 mW output) and a tee
connector.  Receiver and exciter on each end of the tee (with short cables) and
antenna/service monitor on the center.  As I remember, the frequencies were
about 6 MHz apart and the 'repeater' would duplex reasonably well considering
no
filtering was used between the units.  Of course, I'm not saying there wasn't
desense, but it worked - pretty well.

Obviously, the 200 mW was split into two paths and who knows how much was
hitting the input port of the receiver, but lets say half of it was - 100 mW.
That power level is +20 dBm.   I can almost guarantee you that transmitter side
band noise is what created the desense - not the shear power of the
transmitter.  +20 dBm is 2,240,000 μV or 2.24 volts of RF.

My receive antenna for the UHF remote receivers is top mounted across the tower
face beside the VHF stick.  The VHF repeater runs 250 watts.  4 watts of VHF
power appears at the splitter (in the shelter - including feedline loss) which
feeds the 4 UHF receivers.  The splitter (old CATV type) gets warm - you figure
out how much VHF power is getting to each UHF receiver <grin>.

Kevin Custer