Nicola Ken Barozzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 07/11/2003 12:34:54 AM:

> Reading Dion's messages I gather that there is no particular will of
> Maven to participate ATM to an independent "Repo" project with active
> development as ATM Maven is satisfied of its current implementation. In

Please don't put words in my mouth.

I am not 'Maven'. The will of Maven is the will of it's developers. I'm
just one. What they want to do is have a stable, functional product.
Developing a repository and access/management code for one seems a bit
redundant for most maven developers, as we already have one, as you say.

> fact it works as advertised and as it's needed by Maven, so I really
> can't blame them, also because they have a release to make now. I'm
> talking about developers that have time to collaborate now here, as Dion

> has showed that Maven has already code that can be used in an
> independent project.
> Furthermore I appreciate a lot Dion's active participation on this list
> as it will surely bring to a single spec that all implementations can
> adhere to.

I personally doubt that :-)

> As Ruper and Greebo developers seem very much interested and active ATM
> on code, and since I think it's good for Apache to have an independent
> Repo project with it's own community I am thinking if it's time to
> propose that the Incubator starts hosting an independent code effort.

I'd prefer we not even think about code until we have the repository and
it's format understood and agreed on. Bringing code and projects into the
mix now just confuses the issue.

> This would make it possible for Ruper and Greebo developers to
> participate together on the code right now, and have Maven developers
> participate on equal standing without constriction or time constraints,
> both in participation and adoption.
> What do you guys think?

If Ruper, Greebo and Maven developers want to work on code, go for it.
But, as a developer, I'd prefer we have our 'requirements' down before we
go about adopting codebases and developers.

Let's agree on what the repository is and what tools we need before we
start incubating.

dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Pub Key: