Nicola Ken Barozzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 07/11/2003 12:34:54 AM:

Reading Dion's messages I gather that there is no particular will of Maven to participate ATM to an independent "Repo" project with active development as ATM Maven is satisfied of its current implementation. In

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Sorry, it is not my intention. In fact the opposite is true. I'm just trying to explain what I think you are saying, and writing it down so you can tell me if it's right or not, like you are doing now.

I am not 'Maven'. The will of Maven is the will of it's developers. I'm just one. What they want to do is have a stable, functional product. Developing a repository and access/management code for one seems a bit redundant for most maven developers, as we already have one, as you say.

Then what I have written seems to be correct in essence, as for "Maven" I mean here "most maven developers".

I don't want to give a negative connotation to what I'm saying, but it seems it's not os easy :-/

Please believe me when I say that I understand and agree on your above explanation.

fact it works as advertised and as it's needed by Maven, so I really can't blame them, also because they have a release to make now. I'm talking about developers that have time to collaborate now here, as Dion has showed that Maven has already code that can be used in an independent project.

Furthermore I appreciate a lot Dion's active participation on this list as it will surely bring to a single spec that all implementations can adhere to.

I personally doubt that :-)

I don't :-P

As Ruper and Greebo developers seem very much interested and active ATM on code, and since I think it's good for Apache to have an independent Repo project with it's own community I am thinking if it's time to propose that the Incubator starts hosting an independent code effort.

I'd prefer we not even think about code until we have the repository and it's format understood and agreed on. Bringing code and projects into the mix now just confuses the issue.

It's a totally orthogonal thing. What I'm saying is that incubating such a project is not something that I want to do here on this list, as in fact it would really confuse things.

This would make it possible for Ruper and Greebo developers to participate together on the code right now, and have Maven developers participate on equal standing without constriction or time constraints, both in participation and adoption.

What do you guys think?

If Ruper, Greebo and Maven developers want to work on code, go for it.

Ok, very good.

But, as a developer, I'd prefer we have our 'requirements' down before we go about adopting codebases and developers.

Hmmm... it's not like we are totally unknowing of the goals, AFAIK we are working on details...

Let's agree on what the repository is and what tools we need before we start incubating.

I have no particular personal urge to start now or later, as in fact I'm not a developer of any of the above projects. But discussing without code is really wierd, and brings to issues being rehashed.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -