Stephen McConnell wrote:

Sure - and I think HTTP protocol support is fundamental. With the Avalon stuff we are using HTTP today but we making sure that the repository SPI enables selection of alternative repository protocols so that we put a lot more intelligence into the backend/client relationship. For example - things we want to be able to do is post a query and get back a serialized deployment descriptor. For these sort of applications one should look beyond HTTP.

I strongly disagree, HTTP is perhaps the only protocol you can count on being widely available behind firewalls etc. Now REST or SOAP or whatever is a seperate matter. But HTTP thw best way to build a lously coupled system like this.