On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 18:28, Nick Chalko wrote:
> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

> > Sure - and I think HTTP protocol support is fundamental.  With the
> > Avalon stuff we are using HTTP today but we making sure that the
> > repository SPI enables selection of alternative repository protocols
> > so that we put a lot more intelligence into the backend/client
> > relationship. For example - things we want to be able to do is post a
> > query and get back a serialized deployment descriptor. For these sort
> > of applications one should look beyond HTTP.

Again this is entirely out of scope and far too complicated for a simple
repository.

> I strongly disagree,  HTTP is perhaps the only protocol you can count on
> being widely available behind firewalls etc.
> Now  REST or SOAP or whatever is a seperate matter.  But HTTP thw best
> way to build a lously coupled system like this.

Well, I wouldn't call it a lousy system :-) But I agree that HTTP is
really the only protocol that needs to be dealt with. Again, if someone
wants to create an augmented system by replicated a file system store
accessible via HTTP to an object store there is nothing stopping you.

Sophisticated systems can be predicated on simplicity.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]