> From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Michal Maczka wrote:
>
> > IMHO "type" directory  should be mandatory
>

> +1

-1 for reasons outlined previously in
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/[EMAIL PROTECTED]&ms
gNo=312

> > We should always use:
> > http://repo.apache.org/apache/ant/1.5.4/keys/KEYS-1.5.4
> >
> > More rules and exceptions will make entire process harder from point
> > of view of tools.
> >
> > My proposition is:
> >
> >  repository-uri = access-specifier "/" product-specifier "/"
> >                   artifact-specifier
> >
> > For java artifacts, artifact-specifier is:
> >
> >  artifact-specifier = {plural form of type} "/" artifact
> >
> >  type = "jar" | "war" | "rar" | "tld" | "binary" | "source"
> >         | "license" | ...
> >
> >  {plural form of type} = "jars" | "wars" | "rars" | "tlds" |
> > "binaries" | "source"
> >         | "licenses" | ...
>

> I'm not keen on the notion of a static type enumeration and
> corresponding plural form.  This sort of information can be easily
> expressed in a meta descriptor at the level of a group - .e.g.
> ".group".  A .group file could include the mapping of a type to its
> plural form within the scope of the group which would significantly
> improve the machine friendliness of the repository model. You can apply
> the same principal to distinguish and qualify other level in the
> repository - e.g. .type qualifying a directory as a type directory.
>
> Stephen.

I'm hoping we can produce a set of specifications without resorting
to meta-data. Meta data is great for writing generic tools, but
we don't have enough requirements from other languages to
agree on what is required. I suspect attempting to get
any sort of concensus would paralyze this effort.

-Tim