[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi,

From: "Tim Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

'type' is there to logically group artifacts, to aid users browsing
the repository. For products with many artifacts, this makes navigating
the repository easier.

So the sole purpose of this is to make navigation easier? Isn't that what the groupID is meant to be used for? How does type/groupID differ in their purposes?

Yes - you are right they don't differ in this purpose. But it doesn't mean that one of them is not need. I think that repository is "easily navigated"
when both "groupId" and "type" directories co-exits.

(replaying to you other email)

"type" seems to be a rather artificial component. There should be no artefacts with the same name but different types thus no conflicts if they are in the same directory.

ie Why not have

  http://repo.apache.org/apache/ant/1.5.4/ant-1.5.4.jar
  http://repo.apache.org/apache/ant/1.5.4/ant-1.5.4.jar.md5
  http://repo.apache.org/apache/ant/1.5.4/ant-optional-1.5.4.jar
  http://repo.apache.org/apache/ant/1.5.4/ant-optional-1.5.4.jar.md5
  http://repo.apache.org/apache/ant/1.5.4/ant-bin-1.5.4.zip
  http://repo.apache.org/apache/ant/1.5.4/ant-bin-1.5.4.zip.md5
  http://repo.apache.org/apache/ant/1.5.4/ant-bin-1.5.4.tar.gz
  http://repo.apache.org/apache/ant/1.5.4/ant-bin-1.5.4.tar.gz.asc
  http://repo.apache.org/apache/ant/1.5.4/ant-src-1.5.4.zip
  http://repo.apache.org/apache/ant/1.5.4/ant-src-1.5.4.zip.md5
  http://repo.apache.org/apache/ant/1.5.4/ant-src-1.5.4.tar.gz
  http://repo.apache.org/apache/ant/1.5.4/ant-src-1.5.4.tar.gz.asc
  http://repo.apache.org/apache/ant/1.5.4/LICENSE-1.5.4.txt
  http://repo.apache.org/apache/ant/1.5.4/KEYS-1.5.4

Also "stype" seems like another artificial distinction. Is not two artefacts with different "stype"s just two different artefacts.

You intuition is correct. But as I understand - we are trying to apply more analytical approach and split strings like ant-src-1.5.4.zip.md5 into smaller pieces so for example nobody uses

http://repo.apache.org/apache/ant/1.5.4/src-ant-1.5.4.tar.gz.asc
http://repo.apache.org/apache/ant/1.5.4/ant-bin-1.5.4.zip

at the same time,

Nobody in fact uses - http://repo.apache.org/apache/ant/1.5.4/src-ant-1.5.4.tar.gz.asc
(at least very rarely) but we just want to describe more precisely what ant-bin-1.5.4.zip means and differentiate it from (e.g.) bin-ant-1.5.4.zip.

So it's like we want to formalize some intuitions and pratices.

regards

Michal