Tim Anderson wrote:

I was thinking of something like the following:

1. all artifacts in the repository are real or virtual.
2. real artifacts are hosted in the repository
3. virtual artifacts are not hosted, but refer to
    the real artifact via:
    4. http redirection
    5. http redirection requiring processing

Exactly :-)

I'll leave the spec to you guys, but as for this, definitely +1
Apache must publish Apache artifacts, but if we really want this to scale, we should make it possible for others to publish their own stuff in their own repos.

(Thanks to spell checking now I always write 'definitely' correctly :-)

            - verba volant, scripta manent -