Seems like Hanno was on the right track here.

is_view_template is not working correctly because the VIRTUAL_URL is not
getting set correctly in repoze.vhm. Basically, repoze.zope2 uses the
environ value of "repoze.vhm.virtual_url" to generate the VIRTUAL_URL. Then
the actual url is grabbed from that VIRTUAL_URL.

As far as I can understand, in repoze.vhm.middleware.munge, the lines,

>         real_path = environ['PATH_INFO'].split('/')

        if vroot_path:

            virtual_url_parts += real_path[len(vroot_path):]

        else:

            virtual_url_parts += real_path[1:]

should simply be,

>         real_path = environ['PATH_INFO'].split('/')

        virtual_url_parts += real_path[1:]

I'm probably missing something obvious though. If this is actually an issue
that isn't specific to my setup, I find it difficult that no one else has
noticed it prior.

-Nathan