John Plocher wrote:
> 2009/5/22 ????? ???????????? <olga.kryzhanovska at gmail.com>:
>> Granted, but the number of individual contributions and the total size
>> of committed changes is only a fraction of the changes at freebsd.org
>> or kernel.org.
>
> The 400 number is small and misleading - it only covers the community
> members who are not Sun employees.  The hundreds (thousands?) of Sun
> employees who contribute to OpenSolaris have the ability to do direct
> putbacks/commits without going thru the sponsor process.  I don't have
> access to the raw data because I am no longer at Sun, but a more
> complete picture needs to include those thousands (tens of thousands?)
> of contributions, bug fixes, putbacks etc as well.
>
> Some of this can be seen by following the ON putback logs, but there
> are many other code bases to look at as well, and I don't know of
> anyone who is aggregating/tracking all the data.
>
> Of course, the real solution is to get rid of that artificial barrier
> and make it so everyone has the same level of direct access, but that
> isn't this thread :-)

Nevermind that OpenSolaris is more than just a kernel, and there a
significant number of community contributions made to projects/CGs
outside of ON.

When it comes down to it, I personally don't find value in comparing the
value of open source projects based on statistical analysis of
contributions.  The real value in any software is the quality of utility
it provides to a user.

As someone once said, "Hardware without software just generates heat."
-- and all that matters is that OpenSolaris is good software for me :)

Cheers,
--
Shawn Walker