The max heap (set with the -Xmx parameter) is shared between all
generations, with
the typical Sun/Oracle JVM that is eden, survivor, tenured and permanent
generations.
The JVM usually does a pretty good job at adjusting the individual sizes
according to
how much garbage your app produces.

I think 2097M out of 3000M is quite reasonable for the tenured generation.
 You may need
to give it more memory.  Is it conceivable that your app has a resource
leak? If so you may
be able to get in shape for a while by restarting it.  The thread count
warnings may indicate
that a lot of your memory is going to call stacks for the threads.  If your
app was faster you
would see fewer threads and hence less memory used.

If you really want to get into tuning the memory/GC settings there is
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/gc-tuning-6-140523.html to
guide you,
but I don't recommend that.

Knut Forkalsrud