Randy,

        We run Retrospect 4.2 to backup about 70 Macs over 4
different appletalk zones to 12GB (24GB) DSS tapes. We don't backup
any PCs but we experience vaguely similar problems over the past few
months.

        The backups became intolerably slow (sometimes averaging <
8MB/min!) so we upgraded the backup computer to a beefier mac and
shifted the process to an external drive from which the computer
boots, runs retrospect and keeps the catalogues (this was to make
future upgrades easier).

        The backups speedup to a comfortable average of about
35-40MB/min on average. Currently they take about 12-13hrs so this is
filling about 1.3 tapes worth...meaning we have to switch tapes in
the morning and then add the clients that we missing or out of action
the night before.

        The major drama now is the discovery that the backup server
was the one that was bringing down the email server each night (same
zone different computer). This lead us to a serious investigation
revealing that although all our clients are using tcp/ip not
appletalk retrospect appears to cause major collisions on the network
resulting in computers that are actively using appletalk (namely the
email server/DNS server) dropping it's appletalk connection. In which
case nothing can find it (tcp/ip or appletalk) on the network. You
need to restart it or switch the appletalk connection to a different
port and then back again to ethernet....ahhhh!

        I'm not 99% sure it's retrospect causing it, but I've tried
the following to narrow it down:

Changed IP address: no result
Changed E'net ports: no result
Changed E'net cards: no result
Changed system (8.1--> 8.5): no result
Changed system (8.5--> 8.5.1): no result
Changed system (8.5.1--> 8.6): no result
Checked and cleaned extensions: no result
Booted from a seperate drive to retrospect: no result
Backed up to a drive instead of tape: no result
Changed computers (same extnl drive): no result
Reinstalled retrospect: no result
Tried 4.0, 4.1i and 4.2: no result

(Not tried yet):
Move the computer to another zone.

Now here's the weird part:

Retrospect clients, as mentioned earlier, are using the TCP/IP
protocol stack, same as Netscape does when you surf the Internet from
the Backup server (just as a test). However, surfing the net causes
no collisions, but retrospect redlines the collisions.

Also even an appletalk copy will set collisions off....so where is
the consistency?

If anyone knows of a similar case, a possible cause and if luck would
have it a solution to the problem please respond ASAP.

Marty