>       The major drama now is the discovery that the backup server
>was the one that was bringing down the email server each night (same
>zone different computer). This lead us to a serious investigation
>revealing that although all our clients are using tcp/ip not
>appletalk retrospect appears to cause major collisions on the network
>resulting in computers that are actively using appletalk (namely the
>email server/DNS server) dropping it's appletalk connection. In which
>case nothing can find it (tcp/ip or appletalk) on the network. You
>need to restart it or switch the appletalk connection to a different
>port and then back again to ethernet....ahhhh!
>
>Now here's the weird part:
>
>Retrospect clients, as mentioned earlier, are using the TCP/IP
>protocol stack, same as Netscape does when you surf the Internet from
>the Backup server (just as a test). However, surfing the net causes
>no collisions, but retrospect redlines the collisions.
>
>Also even an appletalk copy will set collisions off....so where is
>the consistency?
>
>If anyone knows of a similar case, a possible cause and if luck would
>have it a solution to the problem please respond ASAP.

Hmmm...  We've seen the same thing!  We are doing the backups using
tcp/ip (except for 6 old LC's on appletalk) and the collision light
on the ethernet switch glows during the backups but not during other
network usage.  So this sounds similar.

>>We run a series of nightly backups using Retrospect 4.1A, backing up
>>around 20 Mac's and 20 Win98 PC's.  Ever since the Windows backups
>>were added, we've experienced occasional crashes of the backup Mac.
>>Often this has been accompanied by corrupted catalogues (chunk
>>checksum errors).
>>
>>After months of studying it we have found one reproducable problem:
>>if someone shuts down or reboots one of the Win98 PC's while it is
>>being backed up, the backup Mac will often crash.  We also have other
>>problems backing up the Windows boxes, with network communications
>>failures on different slower PC's regularly.  At first some of PC's
>>were Win95 so we thought that was part of the problem.  But we've
>>now upgraded all of them to Win98 and the symptoms are still occuring.
>>
>>There are no other network related problems on these boxes; we
>>use file sharing fine and uses regularly utilize Netscape to access
>>the 'net over tcp/ip connections through a router.  All is fine there.
>>
>>In summary:  has anyone experienced problems with Mac crashes when
>>backing up Win98 PC's and/or regular "network communications failed"
>>and/or "chunk checksum errors"?  Thanks!

We are switching the backups to a dedicated Mac next week.  Not a real
fast Mac (6100) but getting the throughput is not a problem; the
backups finish in plenty of time now, when they run ;-)  The bigger
problem is the network comm failures on the Win98 boxes and the
corrupted catalogues...  Thanks!

Randy