>it doesn't appear to be a network problem at all.
>when i created a backupset on the hard drive i could backup a fast G4
>no problemo
>its only when i backup to a tape backupset...

Lindsay,

Since you mentioned that the tape drive is new and that backing up to a
file on the G4 is working ok, I'm thinking that something is amiss in the
SCSI voodoo department. Just 'cuz it's new, doesn't mean it works. ;-\
Have you tried a new or different cable?  Hooking the tape drive up to a
different Mac? A different tape drive? Any and all of these things can
lead you to an answer: cable, tape drive, scsi card, logic board even.

Just a thought,

Pam

Pam Lefkowitz, President                     Consulting
Core Computing Technologies, Inc.     Disaster Recovery
848 Dodge Ave., Suite 254            Network Management
Evanston, IL 60202                   Project Management
voice:847/675-3513                            Solutions
fax: 847/675-3564                              Training
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                    Service

Apple Product Professional
Member, Apple Solution Experts
Certified Dantz Development Partner
Certified Female Business Enterprise - City of Chicago
Certified Female Business Enterprise - Cook County
Certified Female Business Enterprise - State of Illinois
Certified Vendor, Chicago Public Schools