on 7/26/00 4:38 PM, Jaeger, Luke at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> you should run Retrospect on a different machine and have the
> ASIP server be logged in as a client. It sounds wrong, but it really works
> better for all kinds of reasons.

I'm curious as to what "all of the better reasons" Mr. Jaeger is referring
to. My current configuration is almost identical to the one that Jason has
and I've been running my backups to a DLT drive which is DIRECTLY connected
to my ASIP server. Since beginning this scenario over six months ago, I have
had absolutely no problems what so ever. When I first decided to move up to
the DLT drive, I also wanted to try to improve my backup speed and
stability. This need prompted the thought of a direct connection to the
server as opposed accessing as a client. After talking to a few fellow
colleagues who also had the same concerns, the general consensus  was to
hook-up the DLT directly to the server to increase the overall performance
during the actual backup. I've set the backup time late enough in the day so
that for 95% of the time there isn't anyone in the studio who would be
actually hitting the server during the backup. This eliminates the chance of
interrupting the backup. There has never been a need to shutdown the ASIP

I'm sure that I'm like most people who believe that if you have a system or
workflow that's been reliable for you, why bother toying around with it.
It's kind of like the old saying, "If it's not broken, don't fix it!".
However, I also strongly believe in the idea of building a better mouse
trap, especially if the end result is a faster, better, and more stable work
environment. Therefore, I look forward to discussing further any ideas
and/or theories that Mr. Jaeger or anyone else on list has to offer on the
subject. Anyone at Dantz Tech Support have any thoughts?

Best Regards,

A Trice Digital

Christopher M. Benjamin
A Trice Digital