>> We're looking into getting an AppleShare IP server for filesharing and it
>> has brought to my attention that an ASIP server cannot be used as a
>> Retrospect client!
>Well, somebody must have forgotten to tell my server about it, 'cuz it works
>great as a Retrospect client. Now, I wouldn't recommend using an ASIP server
>as a Retrospect *server* for performance reasons, but some people are even
>doing that successfully.

Funny thing is, Apple used to sell servers, such as our Workgroup Server
80, with a DAT drive and Retrospect.

We use QuicKeys on our ASIP and FileMaker servers to shut down ASIP and
FMPro Server, respectively, at about 1:00 a.m. in anticipation of backup.
I relaunch FMPro Server first thing in the morning (6:30 or so) and
usually run Norton on one or two partitions of our file server before
restarting it at about 7:00 a.m.

By shutting down these programs, we don't have to worry about live
databases and other files not getting backed up. (I also have QuicKeys
set to relaunch ASIP and FMPro Server at about 7:30 a.m. should something
come up and I'm not able to do so manually.)

Dan Knight, information systems manager       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Baker Book House Company                 <http://www.bakerbooks.com>
6030 East Fulton                                   616-676-9185 x146
Ada, Michigan 49301                                 fax 616-676-9573

 - Macintosh: Love bug resistant, always Y2K ready