Hi all,

We've got a APS DDS4 (Sony SDT-10000) that eats a tape every month or
so. It's been back to APS once and I thought it was fixed, but today

When it eats one, it will eject the tape, but but a loop of the tape
will still be inside the drive. One thing I just noticed is that even
when it ejects a tape properly, the door on the tape cartridge is
still partially retracted, and doesn't fully close until you remove
the tape. This is different than the DDS2 drive we have and seems

The drive in question is running Retrospect 5.1.1 on NT Server. All
media was replaced with new tapes when it was returned from APS.

Is this drive just broken? Is this something that just happens
sometimes with DDS mechanisms? Will tape drives ever be reliable?

Steve Axthelm
Mudpuppy Studios