Ideally, I'd like to know what files get updated, where the files go, and
any changes made to the registry.

That way, I could update their client software (by copying files and
importing registry keys) when the user logs into my NT domain. Then, I just
stop and restart the Retrospect Client service and voila!

Or, I'd like a silent (minimized is OK) and unattended (user has no control)
installer/updater.

These ways, I don't tie up a server, trying to update workstations that may
or may not:
Be Powered On
Be On the Network
Even Exist

This is how I'm keeping McAfee VirusScan virus signatures AND software
up-to-date on my NT workstations. I test for the existence of some things.
If they're not there, then I do a complete unattended and silent install of
VirusScan, import registry entries to config the installation, and apply a
superdat (engine update and DAT update). All this is done silently, via my
logon script, while the user is logging on to the domain.

Hint, hint, hint.

Brad.