Matt, you need to make sure you put a filter in there to not backup
the mail database.  Otherwise it will lock up every time.

Do an Exclude filter on "AppleShare IP Mail" database

This worked for me.  Of course, it's not backing up the mail
database.  There is a script that Dantz supplies that will shutdown
the mail server, make a duplicate of the AppleShare IP Mail database
and then start the server back up. It works great, but you still need
the filter.  It will just backup the copy of the database.