Retrospect should not corrupt anything.  The worst case is that the
mail files will not be backed up.

Why?   Retrospect does a scan of the volume and reads in all the
names and modification dates.  If the modification date is changed
between the scan and when the file is actually suppose to be backed
up, it will be skipped.

I assume that you have the ASIP mail server not running as well. Make
sure it is not.  That's a conflict with EIMS.

To get around those possible problems, you need to make sure EIMS is
shutdown during the backup.  Also make sure that all clients are
disconnected from the file server to avoid them changing files during
the backup.