Did the speed decrease happen between the backup switch and the
basement switch?  or was that within one switch?

Take a look at duplexing if you are crossing over the switches.  Make
sure everything got set to either half or full (one OR the other).
Be sure that the duplexing between the switches is all the same, full
duplex them all if you can.

Is the network fairly quiet when the backup is running (besides the
backup of course)?
Meaning, is there other traffic while the backup is taking place?  Do
you have more than one backup machine going across the uplinks?

You have a fairly decent setup, and switches should not be showing
internal traffic (traffic local to that switch) to the other switches.

Hope this helps.