David, Thank you so much for taking time to write this down. I had initially tried py2exe and then abandoned it because of problems with .egg files. I definitely will try this out, but given the extensive use of perl in our organization, we may end up porting this to perl.
I believe this information should definitely be included in the documentation/wiki. It'll help a lot of early adopters. Thanks again, Raghu On Apr 16, 7:24 pm, David Ball <[email protected]> wrote: > Raghu, > > I can't help with bulk user loading, but on item 1.... > > Once you have a working installation of post-review, you can use the > py2exe to create a windows executable which can be distributed to > staff (I'm assuming your users are working under windows). > > I couldn't find a detailed explanation in the ReviewBoard archive, so > here's a step-by-step of how I did it (Windows XP Pro SP3, Python > 2.5.4, Review Board 1.0 alpha 2) > > 1) Take as your starting point a working post-review.py script on a > Windows machine. > > 2) Download the py2exe package "py2exe-0.6.9.win32-py2.5.exe" > fromhttp://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=15583and > install. (I assume you can use easy_install instead, but I can't make > it work with our web proxy) > > 3) Make sure there are no ".egg" files in the Python site-packages > folder (C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages). These are zipped and py2exe > can't handle them. They must be unzipped into folders of the same > name. If there are do the following: > 3a) Rename by adding a ".zip" extension after the ".egg" extension. > 3b) Unzip the extension to a folder with the same name as the > original ".egg" file. > > 4) In the same folder as post-review.py create a setup.py script > containing exactly the lines below. This will use py2exe to generate > the executable: > > from distutils.core import setup > import py2exe > > setup( > options = {'py2exe': {'bundle_files': 1}}, > console = ['post-review.py'], > zipfile = None, > ) > > 5) Run the setup.py script: > prompt> python setup.py py2exe > > 6) The distributable package (comprising two exes and a DLL) can be > found in the new dist/ subdirectory. > The dist folder contents can be copied to client PCs. The > post-review.exe program works in exactly the same way as the original > python script it was generated from. > > 7) post-review requires GNU diff (at least it does when you're using > Perforce as I am). Download the GnuWin32 package > "diffutils-2.8.7-1.exe" > fromhttp://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/diffutils.htm > > 8) Run the diffutils installer. Accept the default options except > where prompted for documentation, which should be deselected as not > required. > > 9) Copy the following files from C:\Program Files\GnuWin32\bin to the > post-review dist/ subdirectory: > diff.exe > libiconv2.dll > libintl3.dll > > 10) Rename the dist/ folder to something descriptive, then ZIP it up > and distribute to users - alternatively, I was able to build a simple > Windows installer at no cost using NSIS and HM NIS Edit. > > David > > On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Raghu Kaippully <[email protected]> wrote: > > > Hi, > > > I have been evaluating review board to see if we can use it within our > > organization for code reviews. The initial reaction was very good and we > > are nearing the end of a pilot phase where we'll roll this out to a large > > number of users. I had a couple of questions: > > > 1. Our development/build environment is perl based and nobody has python > > installed in their machines. This is going to make it hard for installing > > post-review. Has somebody thought about creating an installer that bundles > > python, setuptools, all required modules, and post-review into one package? > > I tried creating a Windows installer using NSIS and found it quite simple. > > Can I conribute that to review board? > > > 2. Is there a way to bulk-load all users and groups into the database? If > > we do not do that a requester will not be able to add a reviewer in the > > review request till the reviewer has logged in at least once. > > > Thanks in advance for the help, > > Raghu --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "reviewboard" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/reviewboard?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
