On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Chris Clark <chris.cl...@ingres.com> wrote:
> Vesterbaek wrote:
>> I would find it useful to to be able to configure this independently
>> for groups and people, such that a user can choose to be member of a
>> particular group, but not receive any emails from review requests to
>> that group, but only get emails if a review request is directed at the
>> user (listed in "people").
>> Usecase:
>>  - We have a number of development teams, which each map to one or
>> more reviewboard groups. I've setup "default reviewers" for the
>> different groups based on the repository paths of the files in the
>> review requests. We do it this way to make sure that all developers
>> can easily stay orientated about different review requests that is
>> relevant for them, and possibly comment if they feel like doing so.
>> They should not (be forced to) receive emails about these group review
>> requests. Mandatory reviewers are put in the "peoples" field, and
>> these should normally receive emails.
> The way we tackle this is with (Mailman) mailing lists. People join the
> mailing list and have the usual options; all emails, digest, or no emails.
> We then making the mailing-list-email-address the group email address
> and NEVER add anyone to the Reviewboard groups.
> Then when posting a review add the group, and the specific people.

Great idea! So this way the review requests don't get listed on
people's reviewboard inbox right? Can they be browsed somewhere? I was
looking for a way to make review requests feel more "optional" as a
way to introduce code review in a company that's not used to it. This
way I could install a post-receive-hook that would create a review
request for every commit, but that wouldn't make anyone responsible
for it. This way people could just browse past commits and comment on
them if they felt like it. Hopefully feedback would increase to a
point where more formal adoption could be established.