You can go ahead and join groups with this method and still not
receive emails. We only email people individually if there is no
mailing list associated with the group. People can join the group but
not the mailing list and shouldn't see the emails.

Now, if you are on the target reviewer list or you ever review the
review request, you will be directly on the CC list. This we can make
optional in a future version.

Christian