Wow. I have never used UCM in ClearCase - so I even don't know how all
of this works.
But I'm pretty sure this doesn't matter.

I can't tell You anything else without knowledge about UCM workflow.
Deleted files i just deleted. I was implement diffs for directories in
patches send to review. That is all what I can tell You about deleted
files.

But You probably still use Clear Case with Review Board in pre-review
model. We have some problems with input in pre-review model (someone
ask about issues we have on this group). So I don't know I can really
help You.