Hi Christian,

I've been trying all this as the apache user from a shell, just to
make sure that a process running as the apache user can successfully
ssh to my subversion server, and rule that out as an issue.

That being said, I just went and blew the site away, cleared
everything out of ~apache/{.ssh,.subversion}, and started over.
Created the ssh key via the settings->ssh page, added it to the
authorized_hosts file on the svn server, and use the username in the
url.  That did the trick.

Not sure what changed, but I'm happy to see it working.

Thanks for all the help,
Dave