Hi Matt,

I wondered when I'd be getting this question. Been thinking about writing a
news post about plans for 1.7.

We originally planned to do a beta months ago, but it got held up. We had a bit
of an emergency deadline with GitHub that required our focus for a while. Then
we spent time on some massive performance enhancements that we've been
dogfooding and will be releasing in a few days.

1.7 had some really annoying, tricky bugs and some lack of polish in certain
areas, which is why we didn't just pull the trigger on a release. I've been
working on those, though. I think we're in a better shape to do a beta now.

So here's the current plan. 1.6.10 will be happening over the next few days. I
have a bug to fix with extensions and a couple changes to still get in for 1.7,
but I'll shoot for a beta this weekend. I'd like to follow with an RC in the
next month and a release shortly after. This will depend on quality (and some
deadlines I have elsewhere), but I'd like us to be standardizing on 1.7 very
soon, as there are some amazing changes in it.

It's worth noting that we won't be supporting either Python 2.4 or Windows
servers anymore. The Python change is due to Django largely. The Windows change
is because Windows is just really hard to support fully, and one of our future
dependencies won't even work on it.

Christian