I just tried the below on my Ubuntu rb machine.

1. The machine is running with just rb site. I typed the <servername> in
IE, it took me to the login page. Once I login, it took me to the
http://<servername>/dashboard
2. I enabled the default website. Reloaded the Apache config, refreshed the
dashboard page and got a 404 error. When I typed the <servername> in IE,
got the 'web server works' (can not remember the exact text).
3. Disabled the default website. Reloaded the Apache config, refreshed the
dashboard page, after few refreshes the page displayed the dashboard.

I tried this some time back, just tried again now to make sure. This is
totally my experience, hence mentioned in my post that 'I might be 200%
wrong'.

Kindly let me know if I am not clear and if you have any questions.