For remote access, we need a URL that provides file contents based on blob
sha1. I don't really know anything about gitlab, but we've previously had
pretty good success getting hosting providers to add an API for us when we
need it (access by blob is a pretty trivial thing).

If you can't do that, an in-sync local repo is probably your best bet.

-David

-David