Not that I know more about Gitlab than I did yesterday, but it appears that
Gitlab is simply a web layer on top of normal git engine, so we were able
to simply install gitweb right alongside Gitlab to do kind of what I was
suggesting above with stand-alone service just handling the requests we
need. Turns out we didn't even have to write that service, gitweb works.