On 06/25/2013 07:56 PM, Christian Hammond wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I just put out a release of Review Board 1.7.11. It's a minor release
> that fixes Python 2.5 compatibility and a small visual bug with HTML
> entities on IE9.
>
> For those still running on Python 2.5, I highly recommend upgrading to
> Python 2.7 as soon as it's convenient. We will be dropping 2.5 support
> for RB 1.8.
>
> http://www.reviewboard.org/news/2013/06/25/review-board-1-7-11-released/
>
> Christian

Christian, can you explain the requirement jump to markdown 2.3.1? From
the patch that changed it, I see this:

+elif sys.hexversion < 0x02060000:
+    markdown_requirement = 'markdown==2.2.1'
+else:
+    markdown_requirement = 'markdown>=2.3.1'

That suggests to me that it's still acceptable to use 2.2.1 with
ReviewBoard.

This is causing me issues on our OpenShift reference gear, because
OpenShift itself is written in Python and has a hard requirement on
markdown 2.2.1. So even though we're running python 2.6 in the gear, we
have a global copy of markdown 2.2.1 that we cannot replace (no permission).

Given how new 2.3.x is, unless you absolutely need it, could we replace
that with:
+elif sys.hexversion < 0x02060000:
+    markdown_requirement = 'markdown==2.2.1'
+else:
+    markdown_requirement = 'markdown>=2.2.1'

That way it will hold to 2.2.1 on old Python and use the latest
*available* one on newer python? On most easy_install invocations, this
will still pull in 2.3.1.