After my last post I decided to do sanity check to verify what I saw before
when running the command you requested and I guess it was good I did.  I'm
not sure why but I got a different result.

barry@R0150313:~/cvs/repo$ cvs -f -d
:pserver:m022927@R0199562:/QREADS5_1_repo checkout -r HEAD -p
CVSROOT/modules
Checking out CVSROOT/modules
RCS:  /QREADS5_1_repo/CVSROOT/modules,v
VERS: 1.1
***************
# Three different line formats are valid:
# key -a    aliases...
# key [options] directory
# key [options] directory files...
#
# Where "options" are composed of:
# -i prog Run "prog" on "cvs commit" from top-level of module.
# -o prog Run "prog" on "cvs checkout" of module.
# -e prog Run "prog" on "cvs export" of module.
# -t prog Run "prog" on "cvs rtag" of module.
# -u prog Run "prog" on "cvs update" of module.
# -d dir Place module in directory "dir" instead of module name.
# -l Top-level directory only -- do not recurse.
#
# NOTE:  If you change any of the "Run" options above, you'll have to
# release and re-checkout any working directories of these modules.
#
# And "directory" is a path to a directory relative to $CVSROOT.
#
# The "-a" option specifies an alias.  An alias is interpreted as if
# everything on the right of the "-a" had been typed on the command line.
#
# You can encode a module within a module by using the special '&'
# character to interpose another module into the current module.  This
# can be useful for creating a module that consists of many directories
# spread out over the entire source repository.