If you use easy_install on the eggs, it *should* work, but there's going to
be a lot of eggs needed, and these will increase with 2.0.

I'm surprised this isn't working. Can you show me what easy_install
--version says? I'm seeing some docs saying that some versions use
HTTP_PROXY and HTTPS_PROXY instead of their lowercase equivalents.