Ah - yes, you have to use the -o option to tell ReviewBoard to figure out the parent diff base by doing the equivalent of "hg outgoing". For this to work you need to make sure that your default push repository is the same as the one that ReviewBoard sees; if it isn't you can use -O instead. ("hg help postreview" has all of this information.)

--master also works but means you have to figure it out yourself.

Apologies for not thinking of that earlier. I have it configured in my default args for the postreview command so I never actually have to type it.

Colin