Christian,

Yes, that was the output from the network tab for the failing new review
request, and the tab was open the whole time. When I create  new review
request for that repository with one of the diffs that works, I get these
requests (I may not have caught them all... not familiar with web
debugging):
GET http://reviewboard.cctechnol.com/r/4078/ [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 197ms]
GET http://reviewboard.cctechnol.com/jsi18n/ [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 68ms]
GET http://reviewboard.cctechnol.com/api/review-requests/4078/ [HTTP/1.1
200 OK 109ms]
GET
http://reviewboard.cctechnol.com/static/rb/css/common.min.e6e71be831db.css
[HTTP/1.1 200 OK 12ms]
GET
http://reviewboard.cctechnol.com/static/rb/css/reviews.min.f35ccb97b383.css

We were finally able to narrow down which were the offending characters.
The developer had copied some documentation from a pdf document, and it had
some non-ascii quote marks in it. He corrected the files with the following
perl:
perl -pi -e 's/[[:^ascii:]]//g' filename

Hope that helps.

Sara