Excellent.  The "DEBUG = True" was just the ticket.

The problem was that we had installed the PowerPack extension for the trial
period on the old server.  We never used it after that, so I completely
forgot about it.  But, its presence was known to the backup, so whenever I
clicked on a repository link, it was trying to import some power pack stuff
and barfed.

By the way, I chose to debug this on a separate debug install that I did
this morning on a VM.  I did not want to disrupt the masses until I was
sure I had a solution.  Took a few whacks, but mostly worked well.

All I had to do was install the PowerPack via easy_install.  I did not
bother to enable it, since we don't plan to use it.  But my VM will now
happily load the admin repository pages.  And, I'm about to disrupt the
masses for a moment while I restart httpd on the production server.

Thank you for all your *excellent* help. We love the tool.