Review Board uses the repository to fetch the "original" version of the
files for each change in order to construct the side-by-side view (since
the diffs that are uploaded are just unified diffs with limited context).

Updating every 5 minutes is likely to work almost all the time, but if
someone were to push a commit and then immediately post a review request
for a change based on that commit, it might fail because it thinks the
parent revision doesn't exist. For this reason many people choose to run
something like GitWeb (or the new rb-gateway) on the same server as the
canonical repository, which will never be out of sync. Unfortunately if
Review Board is on a separate server from your git repository, it does
require either the local clone or some API frontend because git's remote
protocol does not allow fetching individual files.

-David

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 2:02 PM John Borries <pippent...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On the reviewboard site it says "In order to work with Review Board, a
> local clone needs to be kept in sync regularly. It should either have
> direct access to a central Git server, or it needs to be updated on every
> commit to the central Git server."
>
> My question is why? What features will break if the git repo is out of
> date?
>
> I'm in the process of setting up ReviewBoard and I have a cron job that
> does a git pull on all the Git repos every 5 minutes. Is that sufficient or
> do I need to update on each commit?
>

> https://www.reviewboard.org/docs/manual/2.0/admin/configuration/repositories/#local-clone

> https://rbcommons.com/

-David