On the reviewboard site it says "In order to work with Review Board, a
local clone needs to be kept in sync regularly. It should either have
direct access to a central Git server, or it needs to be updated on every
commit to the central Git server."

My question is why? What features will break if the git repo is out of date?

I'm in the process of setting up ReviewBoard and I have a cron job that
does a git pull on all the Git repos every 5 minutes. Is that sufficient or
do I need to update on each commit?

https://www.reviewboard.org/docs/manual/2.0/admin/configuration/repositories/#local-clone