John,

rb-gateway has not had an official release, but there are a few people who
have built it and are running it. It's designed to be run on the same
server as your central git repository, so it doesn't use a clone at
all--it's therefore equivalent to how people use gitweb right now, but it
has a much simpler install and a smaller surface area.

-David

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 4:42 PM John Borries <pippent...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply David, that helps a lot.
>
> Is rb-gateway released yet? I can't find a lot of info about it yet. Will
> it handle this problem of keeping the git repo's up to date? I could
> imagine if there is a service between ReviewBoard and the Git repo, when rb
> asks rb-gateway for a file for a diff, rb-gateway could first fetch the
> latest file from the central git server.
>

> On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 2:09:46 PM UTC-8, David Trowbridge wrote:
>
>> Review Board uses the repository to fetch the "original" version of the
>> files for each change in order to construct the side-by-side view (since
>> the diffs that are uploaded are just unified diffs with limited context).
>>
>> Updating every 5 minutes is likely to work almost all the time, but if
>> someone were to push a commit and then immediately post a review request
>> for a change based on that commit, it might fail because it thinks the
>> parent revision doesn't exist. For this reason many people choose to run
>> something like GitWeb (or the new rb-gateway) on the same server as the
>> canonical repository, which will never be out of sync. Unfortunately if
>> Review Board is on a separate server from your git repository, it does
>> require either the local clone or some API frontend because git's remote
>> protocol does not allow fetching individual files.
>>
>> -David
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 2:02 PM John Borries <pippe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
> On the reviewboard site it says "In order to work with Review Board, a
>>> local clone needs to be kept in sync regularly. It should either have
>>> direct access to a central Git server, or it needs to be updated on every
>>> commit to the central Git server."
>>>
>>> My question is why? What features will break if the git repo is out of
>>> date?
>>>
>>> I'm in the process of setting up ReviewBoard and I have a cron job that
>>> does a git pull on all the Git repos every 5 minutes. Is that sufficient or
>>> do I need to update on each commit?
>>>

>>> https://www.reviewboard.org/docs/manual/2.0/admin/configuration/repositories/#local-clone
>>>
>>> --
>>> https://rbcommons.com/