Let me just add that, once you know java, the learning curve is not
that steep; it took me about 2 weeks of on/off playing around with the
framework to finally "get it". My personal path was:

1. I read and understood the basic building blocks for templates...
value(v), block (B, BV), include (I) [
http://rifers.org/wiki/display/RIFE/GuideTemplates ]

2. I followed the in-depth simple blog video, which iteratively
introduces most of the key features of rife, essential for app
development. [ http://rifers.org/rife_indepth_simple_blog ]

After that, I started to move this about, get into the code to
understand what's going on for some of the parts (especially with
Authentication), asked questions on the list (it's a great community
here, and one of the things that got me to get this far into the
framework), search the wiki (http://rifers.org/wiki/display/RIFE/Home)
and most of it finally makes sense now.

Apart from a few extensions you have to make of the Rife classes to
take advantage of some Rife features, such as Rife's validation
implementations, the framework assumes very little about your code.

And if I've not mentioned it yet, the feature I'm loving the most now
is Rife's out-of-container testing (
http://rifers.org/wiki/display/RIFE/Out+of+container+testing ); just
sweet! :)

-- eokyere