PO files supports "context" markers to make it possible to differentiate
usage of the same string in different contexts.
About different layout - yes, we would have only one layout but IMO for
project like this with human resource problems its more important to
make development less boring and easier to maintain than to customize
dialogs for every locale without significant profit. If project treats
pixel-perfect layout compatibility with windows as requirement it would
be a problem but I don't think ROS needs it.  We already import multiple
dialogs from Wine...