The version of Rosegarden in the Ubuntu repository for release 16.10 has
not worked on every machine I have so far tested it on (both 64-bit, and
32-bit).

The Rosegarden versios is 16.06 "Rhapsody In Blue" (as I recall).

It crashes the first time you attempt to load a file (leaving it
locked), but thereafter can load successfully other files (after
re-loading Rosegarden).

But when you go to play the loaded sequence, the position in the
sequence does not advance.

I can set the position within the sequence, and hit the play button, and
the notes there will start playing, but never end.

The transport window shows fractions of the current beat changing, but
the position never moves.

--
Sincerely,
Aere