I can definitely believe it, I just didn't see it before you explained
it. It makes sense.

Not that I think we should abandon the old way by any means, but maybe
there ought to be a notation 2.0, completely reworked to be an easy
learning curve for those who already know the old notation, but make
more sense to coding. I wonder if that's even possible.

You know, I say that I'm completely new to composing on a computer,
but that's not *quite* true. In the days of DOS, I remember creating a
BASIC file that would play some notes using computer beeps, lol. I
remember doing Slayer's "War Ensemble" that way and it was hilarious.
Just a random thought.