> On Apr 10, 2016 23:07, Silas Mortimer <silasmorti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 5:46 AM, chuck elliot
>> <chuck.ell...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> > Actually there are devices that do this. I have a Roland GI 10
>> > guitar/midi interface which is basically a real time pitch to midi
>> > converter. It handles pitch bend too and does an impressive job
>> > without too much delay and glitches. Paired with a midi sound module,
>> > you can (in theory) play any instrument using the guitar as the input
>> > device. Whether this is effective or not depends on the nature of the
>> > target instrument; wind instruments work pretty well but piano say
>> > is harder to mimic in terms of playing style.
>>
>> That is excellent! I shall have to save up for that.
>
> My church band's former lead guitarist had a guitar MIDI setup with stomp
> box synthesizer. Got some great string sounds out of it. And it picked up
> bends and the whammy bar on his Strat.
>
> Jerry Garcia used a guitar MIDI setup (built into his custom-built
> guitars). So did Al Di Meola, running it into a Classic Mac that sat there
> on stage with him. Saw it in a solo performance of his televised ages ago.
>
> Apparently these things have been around a long time.
>
> David W. Jones
> gn...@hawaii.rr.com
> authenticity, honesty, community
> http://dancingtreefrog.com

You are right.  I remember these things from when I was a young man and
I'm an old man now.  On Linux you can set up a pitch to MIDI converter in
AMS (ALSA Modular Synthesizer) and  a MIDI output envelope tracker,
without too much trouble.  Or, you can output the pitch and envelope
information as a control voltage (CV) if you have a DC coupled soundcard
(usually those are the really really cheap ones) and use that to control
an analog synthesizer with a guitar as the controller.

Once you start coupling innovative controllers with AMS and Rosegarden and
perhaps back the other way also, things get really interesting and
creative.
Have fun!